Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems and Technology
The Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems and Technology (PGDipIST) is an advanced qualification in Information Systems for specialist IT graduates. Students will be encouraged to challenge and continuously improve their existing IS and Technology Management practices. They can combine taught courses and seminars with research options and an internship.
Graduates will become globally aware and understand, analyse, and critique national and international perspectives on information systems and technology.
- Set yourself apart with a specialist diploma and get ahead in your IS career.
- Gain advanced skills in a one-year applied qualification.
- There is a significant shortage in high level ICT skills, so this programme will help UC graduates meet the demand in the marketplace, as more employers seek to engage more IT-savvy employees.
- This programme will be taught by Te Kure Umanga | UC Business School staff and professional, qualified contributors from the local business community (including academic staff and professionals with competencies in Māori and Indigenous development-related IS topics).
To study the PGDipIST you will need to have completed a bachelor’s degree (eg, a Bachelor of Commerce) with a Grade Point Average of B or better in your 300-level Information Systems or other related courses, or have another related qualification.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems and Technology or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGDipIST includes courses totalling a minimum of 120 points, which involves taught courses and seminars, and students can choose to undertake a research project (including data collection, analysis, and interpretation of findings) or an internship.
With approval, you may replace up to 30 points of courses for another subject at an equivalent level, allowing a specialist element in computer science or data analysis, for example.
The PGDipIST can be completed full-time over 1 year, or be taken part-time over a maximum of 4 years.
Courses can be drawn from a range of subjects, including Information Systems, Business Information Systems, Computer Science, and Software Engineering:
Increasingly, postgraduate diplomas are becoming more recognisable in the international market, and ICT-specific skills are critical to the growth and development of many business sectors in Aotearoa New Zealand. There is also evidence of a growing demand for biculturally competent and work-ready IS graduates, who are able to apply cultural concepts and theories to organisational situations across a wide range of organisations, industries, and countries.
This Diploma will allow graduates to jump ahead and take on innovative leadership or management roles in ICT. Graduates will be well suited to work in a range of roles including business/systems analyst, IS consultant, IS manager, and software developer.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2021||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$8,043|
|2022||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$8,181|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2021||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$30,250||$26,304|
|2022||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$31,800||$27,652|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems and Technology.
Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800