Postgraduate Diploma in Arts
This Postgraduate Diploma is ideal for graduates wishing to undertake advanced study in a humanities or social science specialisation. Like its sister programme, the Postgraduate Certificate in Arts, the PGDipArts is very flexible; students can choose between a number of course combinations, and it offers a convenient taught pathway to other postgraduate study opportunities.
A graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma in Arts will have an advanced level of knowledge in one discipline or area of specialisation cultivated over a full year of study or equivalent. During this time they will have developed such skills as:
- the ability to analyse and evaluate academic literature in that area
- the ability to synthesise information and communicate their findings in both oral and written form
- self-directed learning and intellectual independence.
Students must have qualified for a Bachelor of Arts, or an equivalent degree, and satisfied the prerequisites for the subject concerned. Prerequisites vary between departments, but normally good grades in 300-level courses in that subject are required.
If English is your addtional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
A student must complete at least 120 points from taught courses, as approved by the Head of Department and the Dean of Arts (Academic).
The Diploma will take 1 year full-time study, or can also be studied part-time within 2 years.
The Diploma requires 120 points at 400-level in one of the following subjects.
Contact the College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata for information about these subject areas:
Postgraduate Diploma in Arts graduates are well positioned to continue their studies. UC offers a Master of Arts, and a research-based Master of Arts (Thesis) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in your chosen subject.
Subject to the approval of the Dean of Arts (Academic), a student may transfer completed courses passed with a B grade or higher for the Postgraduate Diploma in Arts to:
- the Bachelor of Arts with Honours
- the coursework section of a master's degree (there are a number of taught master's operated by the College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata).
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2020||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$7,535 - $8,174|
|2020||120||Anthropology; Art History and Theory; Chinese; Cinema Studies; Classics; Cultural Studies;Education; English; European and European Union Studies; French; German; History; Human Services; Japanese; Linguistics; Māori and Indigenous Studies; Media and Communication; Pacific Studies; Philosophy; Political Science and International Relations; Russian; Sociology; Spanish; Te Reo Māori (Band 1)||$7,535|
|2020||120||Economics (Band 2)||$7,852|
|2020||120||Geography; Music; Psychology (Band 3)||$8,174|
|2020||120||Statistics (Band 9)||$7,909|
|2020||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$26,000|
|2021||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$27,200|
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Arts.
For study planning help contact the College of Arts:
College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800