Postgraduate Certificate in Translation and Interpreting
The Postgraduate Certificate in Translation and Interpreting (PGCertT&I) provides professional certification in either translation or interpretation in a wide variety of languages.
This Certificate includes two courses, one compulsory and one elective, which will give you practical experience in using computer-assisted translation tools, or in interpretation within cross-cultural communities, including crisis or disaster communications which UC specialises in.
With successful completion of this degree, you will meet the requirements to apply for certification with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
- Customise your degree with Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, or Te Reo Māori language - or other languages with supervision available at UC.
- Choose between courses to upskill as either a translator or as an interpreter.
- Graduate with the skill level to apply for certification with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
To apply, you will need to have either:
- A bachelor's degree with at least 60 points in 300-level language courses at a B+ grade average, or equivalent level, from either Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, or Te Reo Māori
- Any bachelor's degree with relevant professional or other work experience in one of the approved languages above, or another language which may be available on application
- Extensive practical, professional, or academic experience that demonstrates your ability to complete postgraduate studies, and demonstrated equivalent competence in an appropriate language.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to provide evidence of your English language ability with the equivalent of IELTS (Academic) overall of 7, with no section less than 6.5.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Translation and Interpreting or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGCertT&I is made up of 60 points of courses, including one introductory course, and a choice between a translation or interpreting course.
The Certificate can be completed within 6 months full-time, or up to 1 year part-time.
You will be able to specialise in either Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, or te reo Māori languages in your degree, or another approved language.
And one of either:
You may choose to transfer your completed courses at a B grade average from the Certificate to either the Postgraduate Diploma in Translation and Interpreting or the Master of Applied Translation and Interpreting, with approval.
UC also offers Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) studies in your chosen language, or in related subjects, such as Linguistics.
- Meet the requirements for certification with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) as either a professional translator or interpreter.
- Graduates will find work in crisis communications, international business relations, government, software development, academics, tourism, teaching, and more.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Translation and Interpreting.
For study planning help, contact the Department of Global, Cultural and Language Studies.
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800