Distance Service Information
What services are provided?
The Library can provide you with access to books, articles, and audiovisual material. We will post items you have requested to you or send scans of chapters & journal articles to your email address. We cannot post journals. Each parcel sent to you will include return postage. Items not held by the Library may be requested using the interloans service.
You will also have access to many online resources, including guidance on using library resources, advice on search strategies, databases and other electronic resources.
Students living outside of New Zealand are welcome to register for library distance services. The Library cannot post books overseas but we do offer the following services:
- Access to the Library's website and electronic resources
- Scanned copies of book chapters and journal articles
- Use of the interloan service
- As a UC student, you are able to borrow from other academic libraries throughout New Zealand and Australia. See here for further details
Consult a Subject Librarian
- Identifying relevant information sources for your topic
- Designing search strategies for finding information
- Using the Library's resources, both print and electronic
- Ways of keeping up with what is being published in your subject
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Freephone: 0800 763 676
Internal extension: ext 94888
UC Library provides a range of services to support students and staff off-campus.
Am I Eligible?
Are you enrolled in:
- A recognised distance course?
- A UC College of Education regional initiative?
If Yes, you are automatically registered for distance privileges.
If No, you may be granted distance privileges if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a fully enrolled, current UC student.
- You live outside Canterbury (but within New Zealand). See the map of the Canterbury region on the Environment Canterbury website.
- You have contacted your department and they will support your study by distance.
- You have an agreement signed by the UC Equity & Disability Service.
How do I register?
If you meet the above criteria, ask your department to send us a signed service agreement (PDF 77KB).
Current, fully enrolled students living overseas may apply for limited distance services.