Apply for a Hall of Residence

Check out key application dates, hall locations and comparison charts or refer to the 2023 Accommodation Guide.

Eligibility to apply

You’re eligible to live in UC student accommodation if you are a student or future student of:

  • University of Canterbury
  • Another tertiary institution in Christchurch (as preference is given to students intending to study at UC, your application will be placed on hold until mid-December). 

WiFi networks are available in all halls of residence for UC students or you can connect via wired (Ethernet) connection through 2degrees.

There are two steps to the application process for most students.  Check the reference requirements for the hall you are applying to under "Step 2". 

Step 1. Apply Here  

Which halls can I apply to?  Our handy Which Hall Flow Chart can help guide you to appropriate options depending on your age and level of study.

Please note:  New applicants are required to pay a non-refundable application fee of NZ$100 (including GST).  NZ Scholarship students are exempt.  Couples and families will be charged the application fee on receipt of an offer. 

The online application will take about 30-40 minutes to complete. The first part is a registration, in which you will select a username and password.  This will enable you to exit and come back to your application if you need to.  Please note that once you click "Save & Continue" at the end of a page, you are able to go back and edit that page but once you have accepted the "Declaration and Consent" page at the end of your application, any changes will need to be emailed to Accommodation Services/Te Ratonga Nohonga.

Step 2. Provide a reference

You can arrange a reference in support of your application at any time.  See below or view our Step 2 Flow Chart.

Under 18 international students

Under 18 international students must stay in a fully-catered hall of residence to comply with the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Homestay or with a designated caregiver is preferred.  Students studying through the UC International College (UCIC) must apply for homestay.

First preference - Arcady Hall, College House, Kirkwood Avenue Hall, Rochester and Rutherford Hall, Tupuānuku, or University Hall (first year halls)

These halls are typically for school leavers (17-19 years of age). 

First preference - Hayashi, Ilam Apartments, or Sonoda Christchurch Campus

Study Abroad Programme, Reciprocal Exchange, and NZ Scholarship students are not required to provide a reference.

All students under 20

  • A Common Confidential Reference Form (CCRF) is required for 2020 or 2021 NZ school leavers.  Start this process by completing your part at NZCCRF Student Registration for Accommodation References form. If you are unable to provide a CCRF, contact Accommodation Services/Te Ratonga Nohonga
  • For students currently not living in New Zealand, a written school reference or character reference is acceptable.  An appropriate referee would be an agent, employer, landlord, lecturer/tutor or minister - someone who knows you well but is not a friend or family member.  

All students 20 and over

Next steps

Submitting an application does not guarantee you a place in a hall of residence. All halls run a selection process. Halls aim to select students from various backgrounds and abilities to establish a well-rounded student community within the hall.

The selection process will run between 23 September and 5 October.  During this time applications will move between preferences but only one offer will be made.  Students who are not able to be offered a room will have the opportunity to be placed on a general waitlist for all halls, or consider an alternative hall with availability. 

PLEASE NOTE:  READ YOUR OFFER AND CONTRACT CAREFULLY.  Your contract is a legally binding document, make sure you read and understand it before signing.

Accept your offer

Once you have an offer you want to accept you need to confirm your place. You must:

  • Complete and return your contract.  If you require a car park, or have room allocation requirements, make this known to the hall on accepting your offer.
  • Pay the required deposit as specified in the offer (this amount varies from hall to hall).

If you do not return your contract by the due date, your contract will expire and your place will be offered to another student.

If you are paying for accommodation through a scholarship, please contact your hall to discuss payment options.

Returning resident

If you are currently staying in a hall of residence and wish to live on campus in 2022, you are a returning resident and do not need to complete a new online application form or pay an application fee. 

If you are returning to the same hall, please see your hall office.

If you are wanting to return to a different hall - Hayashi, Ilam Apartments, or Sonoda, please email

Conference/Group Bookings

During university term and semester breaks and over the summer period (December/January) it may be possible to arrange conferences and bookings for sports teams and other groups in student accommodation. Bookings are made directly with the hall or village:

Arcady Hall (169 rooms)

Ollie van der Pol
Operations Manager
Arcady Hall
90 Waimairi Road, Christchurch
Tel: +64 3 364 2747


College House (159 rooms)

Nigel Georgieff
Bursar, College House
100 Waimairi Road, Christchurch
Tel: +64 3 364 2001


Rochester and Rutherford Hall (192 rooms)

Office Manager
Rochester and Rutherford Hall
77 Ilam Road, Christchurch
Tel: +64 3 364 2799

Tupuānuku (504 rooms)

Residential Life Manager
3 Homestead Lane, Christchurch
Tel: 027 247 6822

Conferencing Facilities
are available at UniLodge.

Tel: +64 3 266 0400



Summer Accommodation

UC Summer School Students

During the University Summer School Programme, students are able to stay on-campus at Ilam Apartments or Sonoda Christchurch Campus.  Early arrival or later departure dates may be available on a case-by-case basis.

Prices are for a fully-furnished single room and include power:

Ilam Apartments or Sonoda Christchurch Campus

Term Price per person (NZ$)
Stay for less than one week $65 per night (linen included)
Stay for minimum of one week ($171 per week for current residents) $176 per week 
Certificate in University Preparation (CUP) (November 2021 start). Accommodation located at Sonoda Christchurch Campus. $176 per week (self-catered) 
Headstart (3 January - 13 February 2022). Accommodation located at Ilam Apartments with meals arranged and delivered daily. $1,986 (6 weeks, fully-catered)

A refundable contingency fee of $300 is applicable for bookings of 4 weeks or more.

Linen can be hired for $27 per week (2 x towels, 2 x sheets, pillow, duvet) or for longer stays, full bedding packs including towels and linen can be purchased at a one-off charge of $139.  Linen packs can be added at point of booking.  Crockery and cutlery packs can be purchased for $25 each.

Accommodation is self-catered, however, meals may be available at University Hall from January.  These can be purchased on arrival.

Term Price per person (NZ$)
Full meal plan (3 meals a day, 7 days a week) $155.00
Weekly dinner plan (7 meals per week) $88.00
One day meal plan (3 meals a day) $27.00
Breakfast only $9.00
Lunch only $12.00
Dinner only $15.00

To book, please email  

More information

If you need help with your application or have general questions, contact Accommodation Services/Te Ratonga Nohonga.

Halls of Residence set their own fees, manage the selection process and send the offers.  If you have a question related to either of these, please contact your hall directly.