Gain experience to boost your employability with Virtual Internships.
UC Business School is offering the opportunity for you to gain international professional experience by integrating an international virtual internship into your studies and gaining 15-points credit towards your BCom degree. We understand that gaining experience is one of your top priorities as a student to be career-ready, and having international experience is increasingly important. As such, we’ve partnered with Virtual Internships to give you the chance to undertake a remote internship with a global host company in your major subject to build your professional skill set and become more employable once you have graduated from your degree.
Virtual Internships offers remote internship programs with organisations in a wide range of countries worldwide, creating more than 250,000 global opportunities to boost your employability and gain the experience you need to advance your career. The unique platform ensures intelligent, rapid matches between students and companies globally, guaranteeing an internship match for every selected student within one month, regardless of their background, major, location, or desired career field.
- If you are interested, you must first apply following the process below.
- If you are successful, you will be notified and then nominated to Virtual Internships who will invite you to submit a video application to assist with the placement process.
- You will then be matched with an overseas company based on your major and career aspirations.
- The organisation you are placed with will be based outside of New Zealand, but no guarantees can be made as to the specific country where it is located.
- You will also need to enrol in the applicable UC course and fulfil all requirements of this.
Being matched to your host company, and undertaking your internship, is a smooth process managed by Virtual Internships team of professionals who also offer ongoing support throughout the internship, including a dedicated internship coach, peer-to-peer group discussions, and employability webinars.
For 2023 S2, these internships are open to Bachelor of Commerce students majoring in any of the below subjects:
- Accounting (with or without CA pathway)
- Accounting and Taxation
- Information Systems
To be eligible:
- You must meet the pre-requisites for one of the following courses, and have not previously completed this course: ACCT390, ECON390, FINC390, INFO390.
- You must provide a personal statement when applying for the programme, which will be taken into account in determining who is selected to participate in it.
- As there are limited internships available in each subject, the basis of selection will be demonstrated academic achievement in the form of an applicant’s GPA and the quality of the personal statement. Equal consideration will be given to both criteria.
- Students must also be accepted by Virtual Internships.
Virtual Internships has a network of over 12,000 host companies spread across more than 110 countries. 10% are large companies or international corporations, 40% are small and medium-sized enterprises, and 50% are are start-up & entrepreneurial companies.
To be approved as a host, companies must:
- Have at least 3 full-time employees (or at least 2 employees + freelancers/ part-timers)
- Be registered as a business and guarantee a Fluent English Speaking supervisor
- Create a strong Project Placement Plan (PPP) similar to a more robust job description
See examples of Virtual Internships current host companies; but remember the most important thing is not the company itself, it is the valuable international work experience that you gain, regardless of the company. No guarantees.
- AUS/NZ - “The opportunity to intern with a global non-profit organisation through Virtual Internships was a once in a lifetime experience that allowed me to make life-long connections with people across the globe from the comfort of my own home” Anri Ichikawa, Victoria University of Wellington, International Development NGOs.
- AUS/NZ - “I have definitely found an increase in my level of confidence and assertiveness when approaching tasks that initially may seem daunting, especially upon entering a career. Additionally, Virtual Internships has enabled advice and ongoing support post-program - a great and helpful network!” Kerrie Costa, The University of Adelaide, Australia
This is an approved experience under the UC Business School CQ Certificate. Students who complete the experience, as well as meet all other requirements, will receive a UC Business School CQ Certificate.