Mātai Pūtaiao Aronukurangi
- Diploma in Science
- Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Digital Screen with Honours
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability
- Bachelor of Sport Coaching
- Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership
Environmental Science is the study of the natural world, its ecosystems, and our interactions with it. This knowledge is particularly important today as we focus more on water biosecurity, sustainability, natural disasters, and global climate change.
- UC operates field stations at Cass and Kawatiri Westport where you will do field work and research.
- Study Environmental Science in many ways — either as Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours, a major within the Bachelor of Science, or as a minor within other bachelor’s degrees.
- The Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours is the only degree of its kind in Aotearoa, and is accredited by the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ) to deliver environmental practitioners for roles in industry, government, education and research, and the community.
Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours
See the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours for the compulsory Environmental Science courses in the degree.
As well as core courses in ecological and geographic sciences, you also study towards one of the following majors:
Environmental Science major
For the major in the Bachelor of Science, complete the following courses:
- ENVR101 Introduction to Environmental Science
- GEOG106 Global Environmental Change
- MATH102 Mathematics 1A OR STAT101 Statistics 1
- ENVR209 Environmental Science and Resource Management
- ENVR210 Practical Environmental Science and Management
- BIOL209 Biological Data Analysis
- ENVR302 Carbon and Environmental Change
- GEOG309 Research for Resilient Environments and Communities
- PSYC341 Environmental Psychology
You will also need to complete a second major in another subject from the Bachelor of Science to complete the Environmental Science major requirements.
Environmental Science minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
Through your studies you will gain a strong understanding of environmental science, and developing sustainable solutions to environmental issues, and how to build resilient communities.
You will also develop skills in data analysis, environmental psychology, risk assessment, case study analysis.
Some career pathways could include:
- Government agencies
- Research institutes
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
Level 2, Beatrice Tinsley building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Studying Social and Environmental Sustainability gives you the opportunity to learn about ways we can look after the environment and each other, from ...