Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the environment, examining its structure, functions, and interactions with humans and other ecological systems.
This scientific field is growing exponentially as we learn more about how the natural world is effected by our actions, and graduates with holistic and scientific knowledge of the environment are in demand to better our society, particularly in biosecurity, sustainability, natural disaster response, and global climate change.
- The Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours is the only degree of its kind in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- The Environmental Science major in the Bachelor of Science is combined with a second Science major of choice, preparing you to make a difference in your unique interests.
- The Environmental Science minor is available in a wide range of UC’s degrees, which will provide you with an awareness and understanding of sustainability and climate issues alongside your major specialisation in a huge variety of subjects.
- UC operates field stations at Cass (in the Waitaha Canterbury high country) and Kawatiri Westport that are particularly well equipped for Environmental Science teaching and research.
- UC is ranked in the top 200 universities in the world for Environmental Sciences (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2020).
UC offers the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours, which offers specialised majors in different professional areas such as biosecurity, climate change, and disasters.
UC also offers a major in Environmental Science within the Bachelor of Science.
Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours
See the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours for the compulsory Environmental Science courses in the degree.
As well as core courses in ecological and geographic sciences, students also study towards one of the following majors:
Environmental Science major
To complete a major in Environmental Science within the Bachelor of Science, you will need to take the following courses throughout the degree:
- ENVR 101 Introduction to Environmental Science
- GEOG 106 Global Environmental Change
- MATH 102 Mathematics 1A or STAT 101 Statistics 1
- ENVR 201 Environmental Science and Practice
- BIOL 209 Biological Data Analysis
- GEOG 206 Resource and Environmental Management
- ENVR 301 Environmental Science: Cities and Coasts
- GEOG 309 Research for Resilient Environments and Communities
Students must also complete a second major in another subject from the Bachelor of Science to complete the Environmental Science major requirements.
Environmental Science minor
For the Environmental Science minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Sport Coaching, or Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership, you will need to take these courses throughout your chosen degree:
Environmental Science is a growth area for employment. Graduates with strong technical and communication skills are needed to help identify, monitor, and contribute to solving a variety of problems associated with the environment and with the use and allocation of resources.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
Level 2, Beatrice Tinsley building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Pūtaiao | College of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Of all places in the world, none holds the fascination and awe of Antarctica. Not only is Antarctica the highest, coldest, and most isolated continent, but it ...