Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori
This Diploma provides an introduction to research-based knowledge about te reo Māori, emphasising linguistic competence and critical thinking about a number of contemporary aspects of the language.
Students take the advanced language course TREO 401 Te Reo: Te Kōhure and three other Te Reo Māori courses.
Students who complete the Diploma with Merit or Distinction may transfer to the Master of Te Reo Māori.
Students wishing to enrol in the Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori must have one of the following:
- a bachelor’s degree with a major in Te Reo Māori; or
- any bachelor’s degree, and have also completed a Graduate Diploma in Arts in Te Reo Māori; or
- any bachelor’s degree, and have relevant professional experience and fluency in Te Reo Māori.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The course of study for the PGDipTeReo shall comprise courses equivalent to 120 points.
The Diploma can be completed in 1 year full-time, or in up to 4 years part-time.
Subject to the approval of the Dean of Arts (Academic), you may transfer completed courses from the Diploma (passed with a B Grade Point Average or higher) to the honours or master's programmes.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2020||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$7,535|
|2021||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$7,618|
|2021||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$27,200|
|2022||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$28,200|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori.
For study planning help, contact Aotahi: School of Māori and Indigenous Studies or the College of Arts:
Te Rāngai Toi Tangata | College of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800