Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Science
This Diploma allows students to develop their expertise in sport science and health industries.
The one-year Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Science (PGDipSS) can lead to career pathways in high performance sport, non-clinical health, or fast-track careers of existing professionals in those industries.
- Specialist diploma in sport science.
- Findings from the 2013 Sport and Recreation Sector Workforce to 2026 Survey indicate that in Aotearoa New Zealand, up to 44,000 new staff will be required in the sector due to growth and retirements by 2026.
- Lecturers are involved in sport science or health as active researchers and supervisors, as well as serving professional bodies in their discipline.
- The field of sports science is developing rapidly and so this Diploma will allow you to stand out in a competitive job market.
To enrol, you should have previously completed a sport and/or science-related Aotearoa New Zealand degree, or an equivalent qualification, and normally should have achieved at least a B Grade Point Average in your 300-level courses.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Science or use the admission requirements checker.
One or more courses or research may require vaccination
The government has announced new vaccination requirements for the health and education sectors. At UC, our programmes are strongly connected to our communities of practice. For many of our programmes, you will not be able to complete research or practice-oriented courses if you are not vaccinated. This is due to research/practice taking place in health centres and schools/kura where all employees and volunteers are required to be vaccinated.
For these courses you will be required to be vaccinated in line with the NZ Government regulations, and supply evidence of your vaccination status.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGDipSS requires 120 points of coursework. It would normally be completed full-time over 1 year.
Two courses are selected from the following list.
Courses cover such areas as exercise physiology, biomechanics, sport psychology, sport nutrition, or health behaviour change.
- EDME601 Understanding and Using Research in Education
- HLTH430 Motivating Behaviour Change I
- HLTH464 Research Approaches for Health and Sport
- SSCI404 Advanced Internship for Sport Science
- SSCI405 Special Topic: Psychology of Sport and Exercise
- SSCI406 Special Topic: Advancing Knowledge in Sport Science
- SSCI407 Coaching Physical Performance
- SSCI408 Sport Science Independent Study
- SSCI409 Extreme Sport Science
Please contact the Programme Coordinator for more information on how to enrol in an SSCI course.
You can go on to study a Master of Sport Science, or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Health Sciences or Biological Sciences.
Graduates of this Diploma will have a solid grounding in modern sport science. Potential roles for graduates include:
- Sports Scientist/Strength and Conditioning Specialist positions in professional sport, working with teams or individual athletes, or in national and international sporting organisations
- Development officer for professional sporting and health orientated organisations
- Corporate and community health and fitness consultant
- Health promotion/lifestyle consultant
- Athletic/sports programme coordinator.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$8,908|
|2022||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$8,670|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2022||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$40,000||$34,783|
|2023||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$41,000||$33,652|
See more information about our Sport Science programmes.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Science.
For study planning help, contact our Student Advisor team.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health.
For more general information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone 0800 VARSITY (827 748).