Postgraduate Diploma in Hōaka Pounamu | Māori Bilingual and Immersion Teaching and Learning
The Postgraduate Diploma in Hōaka Pounamu | Māori Bilingual and Immersion Teaching and Learning (PGDipHP) aims to develop high-quality graduates who will promote leadership and raise knowledge of te reo Māori in bilingual, immersion, and mainstream settings.
This qualification is ideal for early childhood, primary and secondary teachers who want to upskill their te reo Māori and teaching skills. All courses are taught through the medium of re reo Māori.
For entry to the PGDipHP, you need to have one of the following:
- an Aotearoa teaching degree
- any bachelor's degree with a major in Education or related subject, with at least a B Grade Average
- a three-year diploma in Early Childhood, Primary, or Secondary Teaching
- equivalent study from other approved degrees.
The selection process also involves a hui with the Programme Coordinator to assess your level of te reo Māori fluency and ensure you will be able to succeed in your study.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Hōaka Pounamu | Māori Bilingual and Immersion Teaching and Learning or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC.
Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Hōaka Pounamu is made up of a total 120 points of compulsory courses taught and assessed in te reo Māori, including noho marae.
It can be completed within 1 year full-time, or part-time for up to 2 years.
UC offers a Master of Hoāka Pounamu | Māori Bilingual and Immersion Teaching and Learning.
You could also go onto a Doctor of Education, or onto a PhD in Education.
This Diploma will give you professional development as a teacher of te ao Māori, and an opportunity to seek leadership roles promoting te reo use in schools.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Hōaka Pounamu | Māori Bilingual and Immersion Teaching and Learning.
For study planning help, contact our Student Advisor team.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education.
For more general information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone 0800 VARSITY (827 748).