Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship
The Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship is a one-year programme made up of four practice-oriented and fascinating courses. The Diploma will appeal to students intending to work in museums, art galleries, and commercial art sectors.
Students must be qualified with either:
- a Bachelor of Arts; or
- a Bachelor of Fine Arts; or
- be admitted Ad Eundem Statum (with equivalent standing) to enrol; or
- have evidence of extensive practical, professional, or scholarly experience to the satisfaction of the Academic Board.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
Entry will be approved by the Dean of Arts (Academic) on the recommendation of the Head of the School of Fine Arts.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
To qualify for the PGDipArtCuratorship a student must satisfactorily pass three compulsory Art Curatorship courses specified in the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship, and one optional course from Art History or Art Theory.
This includes a 4–6 week internship with a local museum, art gallery, or related centres as part of the coursework.
The Diploma is studied full-time for 1 year, or up to 2 years part-time.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship.
For study planning help contact the School of Humanities and Creative Arts or the College of Arts:
College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800