Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
The Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (PGCertTESOL) is an ideal fast-track qualification for those who may have come to the career of English language education through an indirect route and wish to undertake professional development, or for graduates interested in entering the TESOL profession. It is also an ideal pathway to further postgraduate study in this discipline.
The programme and its courses are relevant for educators working in many kinds of English language development settings in Aotearoa New Zealand and internationally, including the education of emergent bilinguals who are speakers of Māori, Pasifika, and other heritage languages.
UC is ranked in the top 200 universities in the world for Education and Training, and in the top 100 for Linguistics (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2020).
Graduates from the programme will gain:
- research-informed understanding of the history and future trends of English language learning
- an understanding of the theories, practices, and politics of second language acquisition and language teaching/learning
- the ability to design and implement English language learning activities
- an appreciation of linguistic and pedagogical innovation and change.
This programme is taught entirely online, so is an ideal fit for people who are currently working or are based overseas.
PGCertTESOL applicants require a bachelor's degree, or must satisfy the Dean of Education and Health Sciences of relevant post-secondary study and work experience.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online via myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The programme is made up of 60 points (two courses). The coursework involves assignments, activities, project work, and research.
There is flexibility in order of courses, so students can start in February or November.
This Certificate will usually be completed within 7 months part-time when starting in November; students starting in February will complete in February of the following year. The Certificate can be studied up to a maximum of 2 years.
Subject to the approval of the Dean of Education and Health Sciences, a student may transfer courses passed with a B grade or higher for the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages to the:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (endorsed in Teaching and Learning Languages)
- Master of Education (endorsed in Teaching and Learning Languages)
- Master of Computer-Assisted Language Learning
- Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
For study planning help contact the College of Education, Health and Human Development:
College of Education, Health and Human Development | Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800