Postgraduate Certificate in Sport Science
The Postgraduate Certificate in Sport Science gives students expertise in a career in the sporting industry, or allows those already the in the field an opportunity to upskill and update their sport science knowledge.
- Specialist Postgraduate Certificate in sport science.
- Findings from the 2013 Sport and Recreation Sector Workforce to 2026 Survey indicate that in Aotearoa New Zealand, up to 44,000 new staff will be required in the sector due to growth and retirements by 2026.
- Lecturers are involved in sport science or health as active researchers and supervisors, as well as serving professional bodies in their discipline.
- The field of sports science is developing rapidly and so this Certificate will allow students to stand out in a competitive job market.
You should have completed a sport and/or science-related Aotearoa New Zealand degree, or equivalent, and normally should have achieved at least a B Grade Point Average in 300-level courses in the degree for enrolment in the Postgraduate Certificate in Sport Science.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Sport Science or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGCertSS requires 60 points of coursework (two courses). It would normally be completed full-time over 6 months (one semester).
PGCertSS requires two courses:
Graduates of this Certificate will have a solid grounding in modern sport science. Potential roles for graduates include:
- Sports Scientist/Strength and Conditioning Specialist positions in professional sport, working with teams or individual athletes, or in national and international sporting organisations
- Development officer for professional sporting and health orientated organisations
- Corporate and community health and fitness consultant
- Health promotion/lifestyle consultant
- Athletic/sports programme coordinator.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2019||60||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$4,134|
|2020||60||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$4,216|
|2019||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$18,300|
|2020||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$19,200|
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Sport Science.
For study planning help contact the School of Health Sciences | Te Kura Mātai Hauora or the College of Education, Health and Human Development:
College of Education, Health and Human Development | Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800