Master of Social Work
The Master of Social Work degree requires candidates to complete a thesis on a full or part-time basis. The MSW is particularly aimed at practitioners with specialist practice, supervisory, management, or policy analysis and development responsibilities.
The programme of study and research can be designed to meet your professional needs and interests.
The degree may be awarded with Distinction or Merit.
UC also offers the Master of Social Work (Applied) involving taught coursework.
The MSW is accessible only to those who have obtained a professional qualification in Social Work and have completed fieldwork requirements. For more details, contact Tauwhiro Hapori | Department of Social Work. Those who do not have a professional qualification in Social Work may instead consider the Master of Social Work (Applied).
To enrol in the MSW, you must have completed one of the following:
- a Bachelor of Social Work with First Class or Second Class Honours Division I
- any bachelor’s degree and the Graduate Diploma in Social Work
- any bachelor's degree and a Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work with a B+ Grade Point Average or above (or equivalent)
- completed an approved qualifying course to the standard to the prerequisite courses.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The MSW degree requires you to complete SOWK695 MSW Thesis on a full or part-time basis.
It will take 1 year full-time, or up to 3 years part-time. You can begin your thesis at the beginning of any month.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2021||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$7,099|
|2022||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$7,220|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2021||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$27,200||$23,652|
|2022||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$28,200||$24,522|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Social Work.
For study planning help, contact Tauwhiro Hapori | Department of Social Work.
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800