Master of Product Innovation
Product designers have an exciting and ever-changing career, needing to understand and anticipate market trends, design innovative concepts, and create interest in new products.
Open to students of any study background, the Master of Product Innovation (MProdInnovation) is a perfect opportunity to access specialised facilities and industry experts at university while beginning to develop your own product or business ideas.
You will get one-on-one support and guidance to help kickstart a project of your own or to help bring a project to life. The support you receive at UC will help to ensure your success.
Those wanting to build on their previous studies in product design may want to consider the Master of Product Design.
- You can explore their own product and business ventures during study, with expert support and industry connections from both Te Kura Hanga Otinga | School of Product Design and Te Pokapū Rakahinonga | UC Centre for Entrepreneurship.
- On-campus facilities for Product Design students include laboratories, engineering workshops, design studios, and a gaming lounge with AR and VR equipment.
- UC Centre for Entrepreneurship offers a number of programmes and scholarships for UC students launching start-up businesses.
- Ōtautahi Christchurch is home to a number of innovative industries needing skilled graduates from UC, particularly in the IT and gaming sectors.
Through the MProdInnovation, the skills and attributes you will gain include:
- advanced knowledge of product/service innovation practice
- mastery of sophisticated knowledge in your area of product innovation
- advanced knowledge of business practice related to product innovation
- ability to critically evaluate product innovation practice related to your own product/service developments
- advanced problem-solving skills
- ability to plan and complete a piece of original product or service innovation development
- capability to apply skills and knowledge to novel situations.
Any previous bachelor’s degree study (or other qualifications of an equivalent standard), and a B Grade Point Average in your final-year courses are open to enrol.
If English is your additional language, you will also need to meet UC’s English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The MProdInnovation is 180 points in total, made up of 30 points of compulsory courses, 60 points of elective courses, and followed by a 90-point practical project.
You can start in either February or July. The degree will take 18 months of full-time study, or up to 3 years of part-time study.
This Master’s involves compulsory and elective courses in both specialised product design and business marketing. The final project course allows you to independently develop a product idea with support from an industry supervisor.
Plus the following business-focused courses:
Select two courses that best suit your interests and expertise:
- PROD611 Design and Manufacture
- PROD612 Bio-Inspired Design
- PROD613 Development of Interdisciplinary Practice and Self
- PROD614 Design Ethics
- PROD621 Games for Health & Wellbeing
- PROD622 Immersive Collaborative Play and Design
- PROD623 Gamification for Enterprises
- PROD631 Fragrance Design
- PROD632 Special Topics in Cosmetic Product Formulation
- any approved 400-level course
Entrepreneurial and innovative skills in market are highly sought after in our global economy, and with this programme you will be well prepared to follow your own product line or business venture aspirations.
Depending on your focus in the degree, you may suit roles in research and development (R&D), concept design, advertising, quality assurance (QA), product review and critique, and marketing analysis within enterprises needing skilled graduates.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||180||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$13,967|
|2022||180||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$13,593|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Product Innovation.
For study planning help, contact Te Kura Hanga Otinga | School of Product Design.
Te Kaupeka Pūhanga | Faculty of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800