Wananga landing Wananga landing

Making a formal complaint

07 June 2024

If you have a serious concern you would like to be investigated, you can make a formal complaint. 


Read the UC Student Complaints Procedure

If you are considering making a formal complaint, read the University of Canterbury Student Complaint Procedures thoroughly. This outlines what kinds of concerns can be raised through the formal complaint process, what information you need to provide, and how your formal complaint is managed.

Check if there are any regulations, policies, codes, or guidelines relating to your concern that might support your complaint.


Submit your complaint via email

All formal complaints must be sent to Your email should clearly state:

  • that the complaint is a formal complaint
  • who is raising the complaint, and how best to contact them
  • the basis for the complaint
  • if known, the name of the person, faculty, or service unit which is the subject of the complaint
  • a description of the events that have given rise to the complaint
  • actions you have taken to resolve the complaint
  • any outcomes sought as a result from the complaint

You should also include any relevant evidence.


Receipt and assessment

You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your formal complaint. The Grievance and Academic Processes Advisor will assess the nature of your complaint and establish how it will be addressed.



The Grievance and Academic Processes Advisor will determine the most appropriate steps for resolution and inform you of the next steps.

You will also be informed of your right of appeal and your external complaint and appeal options. These are also outlined in the University of Canterbury Student Complaint Procedures.


Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.