Pay your fees

There are various ways you can pay your fees. Learn about the different methods, and when you need to pay them.

Small Money Pig

When to pay your fees

You need to pay your fees in full before your enrolment at UC is finalised. This includes all compulsory tuition fees, the Student Services Levy, non tuition fees and any other charges.

Fees cannot be paid by instalment.

If you have any questions about this contact Financial Services on +64 3 369 3331, or visit the Finance Counter at Student Services Centre.

When your application has been approved, you will be sent an Enrolment Agreement by email or post. This offer confirms your final selection of qualification, courses and fees.

To become enrolled, you need to accept your Enrolment Agreement and pay your fees by one of the methods below.

If you are an International student, you may need to pre-pay your fees to obtain a student visa to study at UC. See Immigration New Zealand for more information about student visa requirements.

When your admission and qualification entry is approved, you will receive an Offer of Place letter, which tells you the amount you need to pre-pay. See below for ways to make the pre-payment. If you are unable to complete your enrolment, your pre-paid tuition fees will be refunded.

After you arrive in New Zealand, when you complete your International student enrolment in person, you will receive an Enrolment Agreement confirming your final selection of qualification, courses and fees. When you accept your Enrolment Agreement, your fee payment will be finalised. If the amount you pre-paid is different from your final fees total as shown on your Enrolment Agreement, then you will be charged or refunded the difference.

If you do not need to pre-pay your fees for visa reasons, you can pay them when you complete your International student enrolment in person

If you obtain New Zealand Resident Class Visa after you’ve enrolled, you will become eligible for an appropriate refund. Such refund will take effect from the beginning of the next teaching period or semester, whichever is shorter.

A student must provide evidence of their changed status prior to the end of the change of enrolment period for the next teaching period; or in the case of a research course, this will be before the end of any month.

Changes of Enrolment

If you change your course selection after you are enrolled, then you may receive a refund or have an amount to pay. This information will be included in your Notification of Change, which will be emailed to you at your student email address.

How to Pay

You can pay for your tuition fees and non-tuition fees by any of the following options:

If you are planning to pay your fees by New Zealand Government Student Loan, make sure that you apply for your loan with StudyLink as soon as possible to allow time for your loan application to be processed before your courses start.

The University of Canterbury uses the Western Union Business Solutions payment portal for paying your international fees. You can pay your New Zealand dollars denominated fees using your home currency or another international currency using Western union Business Solutions.

To begin the payment process, you should:

  1. Open the Western Union Business Solutions payment authorisation form and follow the instructions. Make sure your full name and UC student ID are in the Payment Notes field.
  2. Western Union then generates a Funds Transfer Confirmation by email. The exchange rate on the confirmation remains fixed for 72 hours.
  3. Arrange with your bank a transfer of funds to the Western Union partner or Custom House bank listed on your Funds Transfer Confirmation.
  4. Once received the Western Union partner bank makes payment to UC, UC will issue you a receipt.

If you encounter issues in using this service, contact your local Western Union office or email

Fee Scholarships administered by UC will be applied to your UC fees account directly. If the scholarship amount is greater than your total fees, the remainder may be paid to you (please check with either the Scholarships Office or your Department to see if this applies to you).

If the scholarship amount is less than your total fees, then the amount you are invoiced will reflect the scholarship contribution. You need to pay the balance in order to become enrolled.

If you have any questions about scholarship payments, contact the Scholarships Office for more information.

If you are an International Student and your fees are being covered by a Sponsor, you will be required to provide a Financial Guarantee.  Financial Guarantees must be on the Sponsor’s official letterhead and include the following:

  • Full Name and Student ID number,
  • Start and End date of Sponsorship,
  • Programme of Study
  • Confirmation of what fees are covered by the Sponsorship
  • Invoicing details.

If you are a Domestic Student, please refer to Page 6 of your Enrolment Agreement for information about Third Party payments and what is required.   

For further information, contact Financial Services or visit the Finance Counter at Student Services Centre.

Bank to bank transfers can be made to University of Canterbury through our bank, ANZ Bank New Zealand, using the following details:

Bank name ANZ
Branch name Auckland (Q&V)
Account name University of Canterbury
Account number 01 1839 0036732 00
Swift (routing) number ANZBNZ22
Address Corner Queen and Victoria Street, Auckland
Reference Your student ID number and name

To ensure your payment gets processed efficiently please ensure you enter a reference including your UC student ID, your full name, and the invoice number if you have this.

If you have any questions about direct bank payments contact UC Accounts Receivable via email

Credit card and EFTPOS payments are accepted in person at the Finance Counter on Level 1 of the Student Services Centre. Please note that we do not accept cash.

Only cheques issued by a New Zealand bank in New Zealand dollars are accepted as payment. Cheques should be made out to ‘University of Canterbury’ and should have your student ID number printed on the back.

UC accepts cheques presented at the Finance Counter in the Student Services Centre or sent via post to:

Financial Services
Accounts Receivable
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch 8140
New Zealand

Credit card payments are also accepted via phone with Financial Services on +64 3 369 3467.

For more information or if you have any questions

chat loading...
chat loading...