Canterbury College

Learning by Design: Building Canterbury College in the City 1873-1973. An illustrated history based on the Armson Collins Architectural Drawings Collection

Town Site Timeline

In the course of the development of the town site 32 buildings and additions or extensions were erected for Canterbury College. In addition to that, there were also a number of temporary structures created to fulfill immediate needs that were later removed.


A beautiful coloured panorama of Canterbury College and Canterbury Museum with the statue of Rolleston at the right.

Building began with the first Chemical Laboratory in 1873, and ended with the final town site alterations in 1966.

BUILT

ORIGINAL PURPOSE

NOTES

ARCHITECT

1873

First site on cnr Worcester Street and Rolleston Ave purchased

 

 

1876-1877

Chemical laboratory

Demolished 1917

B.W. Mountfort

1876

Site for Girls High School on cnr Rolleston Ave and Hereford St purchased

 

 

1876-1877

Clock Tower

Later Arts Centre Visitors Centre

B.W. Mountfort

1876-1878

Girls High School

Later School of Art

T. Cane

1878

Site for Boys High on Worcester Street and site on cnr Worcester and Montreal Streets purchased

 

 

1878-1879

East Wing, Clock Tower

Later Le Cafe

B.W. Mountfort

1879-1881

Boys High School

Later Galleria and craft shops

W.B. Armson

1881-1882

Great Hall and tower

 

B.W. Mountfort

1882

Site on Hereford Street purchased

 

 

1887-1888

Classics building

 

B.W. Mountfort

1889

Mens Common Room?

Demolished 1915

 

1890-1891

Mechanical Engineering Lab

 

B.W. Mountfort

1895-1896

Biological Lab

 

B.W. Mountfort

1901-1902

Electrical Engineering Lab

Later Southern Ballet

C.J. Mountfort

1901-1902

School of Art Additions

Later Annies Wine Bar

S. Hurst Seager

1902

Site on Hereford Street purchased

 

 

1908

Boys High School Gymnasium

Later Academy Theatre

Collins and Harman

1908

Sections 423 and 424 between Worcester and Hereford Streets purchased

 

 

1908-1910

Chemical Lab

 

Collins and Harman

1912-1913

Boys High School additions

 

Collins and Harman

1913-1914

Hydraulics Lab

 

Collins and Harman

1914-1916

College Library

Later SOFA gallery

Collins and Harman

1915-1916

School of Art additions

 

Collins and Harman

1915-1916

Registrar’s Office

 

Collins and Harman

1915-1916

Men’s common room

Later Backstage Cafe

Collins and Harman

1915-1917

West Block Rolleston Ave

 

Collins and Harman

1915-1917

Arcades (Cloisters)

 

S. Hurst Seager

1915-1917

Physics Lab

 

Collins and Harman

1917

Old Caretakers cottage demolished

 

 

1917-1918

Biological Department

 

Collins and Harman

1920-1923

School of Engineering extensions

Later the Court Theatre

Collins and Harman

1926

Site of Student Union on cnr Hereford and Montreal Streets purchased

 

 

1928-1929

Student Union

Later the Dux de Lux

Collins and Harman

1947

Geography pre-fabs constructed

Demolished 1990

 

1949

Decision to move to Ilam announced

 

 

1953-1954

East Block

Restored after fire.

Manson, Seward and Stanton

1954

Boiler house

 

Ministry of Works

1955-1956

Student Union extensions

 

Trengrove, Trengrove and Marshall

1956-1957

First building on Ilam site begins, remodeling Okeover House for School of Art

 

 

1956-1957

Registry extensions

 

Collins and Son

1957-1958

Conversion of School of Art

 

Collins and Son

1958-1959

East block repairs

 

Collins and Son

1961

Conversion of Library to 3 tier stacks

 

Collins and Son

1965

Registry extensions

 

Collins and Son

1966

Central site alterations

 

U of C

1973

UC announces intent to gift town site to the people of Christchurch during centenary celebrations

 

 

1975

Final UC department leaves for Ilam Site

 

 

 

Next: The Old Tin Shed