We are society's engineers.
Civil and Natural Resources Engineers are responsible for creating and maintaining a sustainable world. We define and solve the problems of our communities, and provide the foundations for a healthy, vibrant, and resilient society.
As one of our students, you will become:
- a master planner, designer, constructor, and operator of society’s economic and social engine - the built environment
- kaitiaki: a steward of our natural environment and its resources
- a manager of risk and uncertainty
- a leader in discussions and decisions shaping environmental and infrastructure policy
- a collaborator, engaging with interdisciplinary and culturally diverse teams
- a creator and innovator of ideas and technology across the public, private and academic sectors
Our team: Why they do Civil and Natural Resources Engineering
In our department you can study a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in:
- Civil Engineering
- Minor in water and environmental systems
- Minor in structural engineering
- Natural Resources Engineering
Why study with us?
- Our department is ranked 8th in the world
- We are the only university in the world to offer Natural Resources Engineering
- We have new, high-tech laboratories all right on campus
- You will engage and compete in fun and innovative challenges, such as the bridge competition
- We are a close community of students and professors
- You will have numerous opportunities for mentorship and professional development
- Canterbury is one of the top adventure destinations in the world.
For more information, including the courses in the different programmes, please visit the undergraduate page.
You've been an engineer since way back
Engineers improving communities
Our department has a strong and proud history of leading the world in civil and natural resources engineering. Our newsletters are a publication for our staff, students, alumni, friends and industry.
Our department is guided by our industry advisory board. Our board is composed of leaders in the Civil and Natural Resources Engineering profession and includes representatives from consulting, contracting and government.