As an educational psychologist, I am interested in human cognition, motivation and emotion, behaviour, and their different applications to education.
Broadly, my expertise lies within the study of motivation and its impact on learning.
My research tends to focus on social cognition within the classroom. This includes understanding how students perceive their learning environment (such as teacher support, fairness/equity, student cohesiveness, task engagement) and the extent to which those perceptions interact with emotions (such as boredom and anxiety), self-beliefs, goal pursuit, interest, causal attributions, and other important dynamics. A central focus is to understand how a student's unique relationship with ideas and other people can improve learning, identity, and performance.
I have conducted extensive research on stress and coping in learning situations across the lifespan. This generally includes the day-to-day stressors that students experience, the (effective and ineffective) ways that students respond to stress, how the learning environment can better support individuals and classrooms, and the differential effects on academic achievement and personal wellbeing.
My current direction aims to examine how students from diverse backgrounds and age levels understand the concept of “achievement.” My future research agenda focuses on identifying factors which shape students’ perceptions of success and failure and the extent to which these perceptions influence academic motivation, attitudes and approaches to learning, and performance outcomes.
- Sotardi V. and Dubien D. (2019) Perfectionism, Wellbeing, and University Performance: A Sample Validation of the Frost Multidimensional Perfectionism Scale (FMPS) in New Zealand. Personality and Individual Differences.
- Sotardi V., Thompson E. and Brogt E. (2019) Early Influences of the Fees-Free Policy on University Students in Aotearoa New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies 54(1): 139-156. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-019-00129-0.
- Sotardi VA. and Watson PWSJ. (2019) A sample validation of the Adolescent Stress Questionnaire (ASQ) in New Zealand. Stress and Health 35(1): 3-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smi.2834.
- Sotardi VA. (2018) Trait and state anxiety across academic evaluative contexts: development and validation of the MTEA-12 and MSEA-12 scales. Anxiety, Stress and Coping 31(3): 348-363. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10615806.2017.1421948.
- Taylor L., Sotardi V., Brogt E., Cheer U., Baird N. and Caldwell J. (2018) The Student Experience at New Zealand Law Schools. New Zealand Law Review (4): 693-722.