I explore how we adapt our words to our intentions and re-invent their meanings in our interactions in culturally diverse settings!
I am a Mathematics Education Lecturer at Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury.
I came to Aotearoa New Zealand in 2018 from India where I worked as primary school teacher for three years. My teaching experience has largely informed my research interests and hence my research interests are diverse. I am interested in geometry education, mathematics education in multilingual and multicultural contexts, picture books in STEM, sustainable development, dialogic pedagogy, gestures in classroom, classroom interactions, Mathematics Education for Climate Change, neuroplasticity and growth mindset, music and mathematics. I am also interested in Peace Education, Education for Sustainability, and Social Justice.
If you would like to talk about a research project, please send me an email.
- Sharma S. (2022) Children’s Negotiation of Meanings About Geometric Shapes and Their Properties in a New Zealand Multilingual Primary Classroom. Hamilton. University of Waikato.
- Sharma S. (2022) Interactive role of prosody in multilingual children’s utterances in a New Zealand primary classroom.. In Ingram J; Kirstin E; Rønning F; Schüler-Meyer AK; Chesnais A (Eds). Proceedings of the Twelfth ERME Topic Conference on Language in the Mathematics Classroom.
- Sharma S. and Sharma S. (2022) Successful teaching practices for english language learners in multilingual mathematics classrooms: a meta-analysis. Mathematics Education Research Journal http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13394-022-00414-0.
- Sharma S. (2021) “I think it’s 3D because it’s not 2D”- Describing shapes in a New Zealand primary classroom. In Leong YH; Kaur B; Choy BH; Yeo JBW; Chin SL (Eds). Excellence in Mathematics Education: Foundations and Pathways (Proceedings of the 43rd annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia): 361-368. Singapore.
- Sharma S. (2021) Conceptualising 3D shapes in New Zealand Primary classes. In Leong YH; Kaur B; Choy BH; Yeo JBW; Chin SL (Eds). Excellence in Mathematics Education: Foundations and Pathways (Proceedings of the 43rd annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia): 353-360.