Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests are focused on diverse family relationships and forms of relatedness, particularly in the context of assisted conception. I am also interested in gender, sexualities, heteronormativity, social justice and inclusion in early childhood education.
- Surtees N. and Bremner P. (2019) Gay and Lesbian Collaborative Co-Parenting in New Zealand and the United Kingdom: ‘The Law Doesn’t Protect the Third Parent’. Social and Legal Studies http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0964663919874861.
- Kelly J. and Surtees N. (2013) We are a family: Legal issues for lesbian and gay parented families in New Zealand. Plymouth Law and Criminal Justice Review 5(1): 39-49.
- Gunn AC. and Surtees N. (2011) Matching parents' efforts: How teachers can resist heteronormativity in early education settings. Early Childhood Folio 15(1): 27-31.
- Surtees N. (2011) Family Law in New Zealand: The Benefits and Costs for Gay Men, Lesbians, and Their Children. Journal of GLBT Family Studies 7(3): 245-263. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1550428X.2011.564945.
- Surtees N. and Gunn AC. (2010) (Re)marking heteronormativity: Resisting practices in early childhood education contexts. Australasian Journal Of Early Childhood 35(1): 42-47.