As an educational psychologist, I am interested in human cognition, motivation and emotion, behaviour, and their different applications to education.
Broadly, my expertise lies within the study of motivation and its impact on learning.
My research tends to focus on social cognition within the classroom. This includes understanding how students perceive their learning environment (such as teacher support, fairness/equity, student cohesiveness, task engagement) and the extent to which those perceptions interact with emotions (such as boredom and anxiety), self-beliefs, goal pursuit, interest, causal attributions, and other important dynamics. A central focus is to understand how a student's unique relationship with ideas and other people can improve learning, identity, and performance.
I have conducted extensive research on stress and coping in learning situations across the lifespan. This generally includes the day-to-day stressors that students experience, the (effective and ineffective) ways that students respond to stress, how the learning environment can better support individuals and classrooms, and the differential effects on academic achievement and personal wellbeing.
My current direction aims to examine how students from diverse backgrounds and age levels understand the concept of “achievement.” My future research agenda focuses on identifying factors which shape students’ perceptions of success and failure and the extent to which these perceptions influence academic motivation, attitudes and approaches to learning, and performance outcomes.
- Murray A. and Sotardi V. (2020) Exploring Experiences and Academic Outcomes of First-Year University Students with and without Perceived Disabilities or Impairments. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education (CIJD) http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1034912X.2020.1811842.
- Sotardi V., Thompson E. and Maguire J. (2020) What a Difference a Year Makes: Fees-Free Policy and University Students in Aotearoa New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies 55(1): 207-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-020-00157-1.
- Sotardi VA. and Brogt E. (2020) Influences of learning strategies on assessment experiences and outcomes during the transition to university. Studies in Higher Education 45(9): 1973-1985. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2019.1647411.
- Sotardi VA., Bosch J. and Brogt E. (2020) Multidimensional influences of anxiety and assessment type on task performance. Social Psychology of Education 23(2): 499-522. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11218-019-09508-3.
- Sotardi V. and Dubien D. (2019) Perfectionism, wellbeing, and university performance: A sample validation of the Frost Multidimensional Perfectionism Scale (FMPS) in New Zealand. Personality and Individual Differences 143: 103-106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2019.02.023.