My research is largely epidemiological in nature, driven by a social justice perspective. Student supervisions and publications have largely focused on population inequity, forming an evidence base to inform important health policies. Many peer-reviewed journal articles explicitly deal with the social determinants of health, often embedded in local contexts but motivated by national or international public health priority areas seeking to reduce health inequalities.
I have supervised 24 PhD students and 21 Masters students to completion, with another 4 PhD and 2 Masters students current. My expertise is regularly sought nationally and internationally to critique research applications for various peak funding organisations, including: the Health Research Board (Ireland); the Chief Scientist Office Project Grant Scheme (Scotland); the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (NZ); NHMRC project grant proposals (Australia); and, HRC (NZ). I also provide expert review to multiple high-ranking international journals, including: Lancet, BMJ, Pediatrics, Psychological Methods, Addiction, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, and, Medical Journal of Australia. I have led or been a named investigator on 63 successful competitive grants in Australia and New Zealand totalling $26.0 million and published over 260 peer-reviewed articles in national and international journals. Major funding sources include: HRC, NHMRC (Australia), ARC (Australia), and MBIE. My research over the 2006-2011 and 2012-2017 periods was awarded an "A" PBRF ranking in public health.
- Abey-Nesbit R., Peel NM., Matthews H., Hubbard RE., Nishtala PS., Bergler U., Deely JM., Pickering JW., Schluter PJ. and Jamieson HA. (2021) Frailty of māori, pasifika, and non-māori/non-pasifika older people in New Zealand: A National population study of older people referred for home care services. Journals of Gerontology - Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 76(6): 1101-1107. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glaa265.
- Bourke JA., Nichols-Dunsmuir A., Begg A., Dong H. and Schluter PJ. (2021) Measuring disability: An agreement study between two disability measures. Disability and Health Journal 14(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100995.
- Généreux M., Schluter PJ., Landaverde E., Hung KKC., Wong CS., Mok CPY., Blouin-Genest G., O’sullivan T., David MD. and Carignan ME. (2021) The evolution in anxiety and depression with the progression of the pandemic in adult populations from eight countries and four continents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 18(9) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18094845.
- Hobbs M., Ahuriri-Driscoll A. and Schluter PJ. (2021) Ethnic differences in mortality and hospital admission in a New Zealand population with type 2 diabetes. The Lancet Global Health 9(2): e102-e103. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30445-9.
- Ma L., Huang C., Tao R., Cui Z. and Schluter P. (2021) Meta-analytic review of online guided self-help interventions for depressive symptoms among college students. Internet Interventions 25 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.invent.2021.100427.