Research interests include EU development policy, EU relations with the Pacific, EU relations with New Zealand/Australia, EU-ASEM process, CFSP (theory & case studies), integration theory, good governance & conditionality, EU diplomatic service and EU identity in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Lai S., Bacon P. and Holland M. (2023) Three Decades on: Still a Capability–Expectations Gap? Pragmatic Expectations towards the EU from Asia in 2020. Journal of Common Market Studies 61(2): 451-468. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jcms.13382.
- Holland M. (2021) Brexit in the Time of Coronavirus. Brexit and After Perspectives on European Crises and Reconstruction from Asia and EuropeSpringer Nature.
- Holland M., Sliwinski K. and Thomas N. (2021) Is Affective Effective? Measuring Affective Learning in Simulations. International Studies Perspectives 22(3): 261-282. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/isp/ekaa005.
- Holland M; Haba K (Ed.) (2021) Brexit and After: perspectives on European Crises and Reconstruction from Asia and Europe. Singapore: Springer Narture.
- Haba K. and Holland M. (2020) Introduction. Brexit and After: Perspectives on European Crises and Reconstruction from Asia and Europe: v-x.