Senior LecturerCindy Zeiher
"Wo Es war, soll Ich werden" (Freud)
I am a German-Australian with a background in trade unionism, community work & the creative arts, especially music. Prior to moving to Aotearoa/NZ 20 years ago, I resided in Japan, Italy & Belgium. Whilst in Brussels I studied French & creative writing. For the past 15 years I have been dedicated to close readings of Freud & Lacan as well as contemporary feminist French philosophers, enabling new insights into my curiosities regarding theoretical & creative expressions of subjective antagonisms.
I've recently completed a book on Jankélévitch's theory of stoic ‘political refusal’ following the Holocaust, from a Lacanian perspective. I am currently working on a manuscript focusing on performing music/s during wartime. A collection of my creative essays and poetry will be published in 2023.
I have completed editing a collection of essays, 'Psychoanalysis and Stupidity' (Rowman & Littlefield, 2023) which puts the experience of encountering stupidity as a specific philosophical, subjective, & social curiosity.
Among other things, I have published texts on psychoanalysis, the status of curiosity, creativity, subjectivities & ontology, as well as translating German & French texts to English.
My editorial commitments currently are:
Continental Thought & Theory (coeditor); CounterFutures: Leftist Thought in Aotearoa/NZ; Emerging Conversations in the Global Humanities (Parlor Press); Contemporary Psychoanalytic Studies (Brill) & S-Journal (Open Humanities Press)
Currently I supervise postgraduate students whose research questions focus on: music & emotions; Asia-Pacific feminism(s); contemporary French philosophy & ‘hospitality’; & filmic depictions of war. I am currently full to capacity & will be on sabbatical Jan-July '23, residing in Slovenia & Germany
- Pluth E. and Zeiher C. (2019) On Silence: Holding the Voice Hostage. Cham: Palgrave Pivot. 102. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-28147-2.
- Zeiher C. (2022) Sensation(all) Ontology. Filozofski Vestnik XLIII(3/20): 7-28.
- Zeiher C. and Overell R. (2021) The Anxiety of #MeToo: A Response to Jean-Claude Milner. Penumbr(a) 1(1): 151-164.
- Zeiher C. (2020) Lacan’s Fifth and Unfinished Discourse: Capitalism’s Alchemist Dream. Filozofski Vestnik 41(1): 331-345.
- Zeiher C. (2020) Lacan’s Love for Socrates. Filozofski Vestnik XL(1): 65-85.