"Wo Es war, soll Ich werden" (Freud)
My research interests focus on how the subject can be understood within contemporary social, ideological, political and cultural systems. I primarily write on two areas: the critical history and resurgence of leftist politics and social movements; and subjectivities and affect as theoretically informed by Lacanian psychoanalysis.
I have co-edited a collection with Todd McGowan, 'Can Philosophy Love? Reflections and Encounters' (Rowman Littlefield International, November, 2017), which interrogates and exposes the role love plays in knowledge.
I have also co-authored a book with Ed Pluth, 'On Silence: Holding the Voice Hostage' (Palgrave Lacan Series, 2019).
Currently I am working on two projects:an edited collection, 'Psychoanalysis and Stupidity' (Rowman and Littlefield, forthcoming 2021); and a sole-authored book on Vladimir Jankélévitch's theory of political refusal.
I supervise post-graduate thesis students in the areas of psychoanalysis as well as critical, political and feminist theories.
My editorial commitments currently are:
1. Co-founder and editor, along with Assoc. Prof. Mike Grimshaw for 'Continental Thought and Theory (CT&T)': http://ctt.canterbury.ac.nz/
2. Advisory board member for 'Counterfutures: Leftist Thought in Aotearoa/ New Zealand': http://counterfutures.blogspot.co.nz
3. Advisory board member for 'Emerging Conversations in the Global Humanities' (Parlor Press)
4. Editorial board member for 'Contemporary Psychoanalytic Studies' book series (Brill)
Member of Aotearoa/NZ Center for Lacanian Analysis (CLA, NZ) and the German Studies Association (Aust).
Currently I sit on the College of Arts Research Committee.
- Pluth E. and Zeiher C. (2019) On Silence: Holding the Voice Hostage. Cham: Palgrave Pivot. 102. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-28147-2.
- Zeiher C. and Overell R. (2021) The Anxiety of #MeToo: A Response to Jean-Claude Milner. Penumbr(a) 1(1): 151-164.
- Zeiher C. (2020) Lacan’s Fifth and Unfinished Discourse: Capitalism’s Alchemist Dream. Filozofski Vestnik 41(1): 331-345.
- Zeiher C. (2020) Lacan’s Love for Socrates. Filozofski Vestnik XL(1): 65-85.
- Zeiher C. (2020) The Woman and her Name: Baxter, Véra Baxter. S: Journal of the Circle for Lacanian Ideology Critique 12.