Qualifications & Memberships
Bronwyn is Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science and International Relations and Director of The Sustainable Citizenship and Civic Imagination Research group. Her research focuses on the intersection of sustainable development, youth politics and democracy.
Bronwyn is a lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Special Report on 1.5 and an Expert Advisor for IPCC AR6 and SR 1.5. She is co-primary investigator with University of Surrey's ESRC funded CUSP: Centre for Understanding Sustainable Prosperity, she leads the CYCLES Children and Youth in Cities lifestyle Evaluation study in 7 global cities.
She was an Erskine funded visiting Fellow with University College, Oxford, UK 2017. Recent books are Sea Change: Climate politics and New Zealand (BWB, 2017) and Children, Citizenship and Environment (Routledge, 2012).
She is a member of the International Social Sciences Council steering committee - Transformative Research and co-researcher with University of Oslo, Voices of the Future project.
Bronwyn was lead author for two reports for UNEP's global survey of 18-35 year olds lifestyles and sustainability and a trustee for the UK Foundation for Democracy and Sustainability. Outside academia Bronwyn worked for children's media, serving as a Ministerial appointment to the NZ Broadcasting Standards Authority, and trustee for the SPARK Foundation. She was inaugural joint winner of UC Arts Conscience & Critic of Society Research Award 2014.
- Hayward BM. (2017) Sea Change: Climate Politics and New Zealand. BWB Bridget Williams Books. 120. http://dx.doi.org/10.7810/9781988533285.
- Hayward B. (2012) Children, citizenship and environment: Nurturing a democratic imagination in a changing world. 1-190. 10.4324/9780203106839.
- Hayward BM., Collins R. and Nissen SE. (2017) Children and Environment. In Demeritt D; Castree N; Richardson D (Ed.), International Encyclopaedia of Geography: People, the Earth, Environment and Technology: 7. London: Wiley. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9781118786352.wbieg0371.
- Hayward B., Collins R. and Nissen S. (2016) Children and Environment. In Demeritt D; Castree N; Richardson D (Ed.), The International Encyclopaedia of Geography: forthcoming. London: Wiley.
- Nissen SE. and Hayward BM. (2016) Student associations: The New Zealand experience. In Brooks R (Ed.), Student Politics and Protest: International perspectives: 129-142.Routledge.