Sport Coaching and Physical Education
Sport Coaching and Physical Education studies gives you the opportunity to lead and inspire others in their learning development, sporting activities, and towards their greatest potential.
You will develop a strong understanding of pedagogy (the practice of teaching and training) and how people learn, as well as sport and health from sociological perspectives to see how gender, age, ethnicity, and geography can change and challenge experiences.
Minor in Sport Coaching
UC also offers a minor in Sport Coaching within multiple degrees so you can develop your training and leadership skills alongside other areas of study.
- Practical studies developing your coaching practice – from teaching sports to training techniques to game strategy.
- Choose your sports to focus study on, including team and individual sports.
- Experiences throughout study with field trips, placements, and internships within sporting organisations and educational programmes.
- Pathway to registering as a physical education or health education teacher at primary and secondary schools through a one-year graduate teaching degree.
Sport Coaching and Physical Education major
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Sport, along with the following major courses:
Sport Coaching minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- SPCO101 Introduction to Sport Coaching
- SPRT109 Strength and Conditioning OR SPRT131 Introduction to Performance Analysis
This degree prepares you for coaching at all levels, from young children discovering sport through to professional teams and athletes competing on the world stage.
Career pathways could include:
- sport coach
- fitness instructor
- physical education teacher
- team manager.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Sport Coaching and Physical Education
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Sport Coaching graduates are motivated and passionate leaders who inspire others towards success in sport, athletic development, and physical and mental ...