Through the Design Innovation major, you can combine your creativity and mātauranga Māori with engineering to invent new products that support Māori needs and aspirations.
- Build products right from the first year in specialised design and testing labs.
- Learn the market and create products for specific industries, for example entertainment, sports, software, and home appliances.
- Complete individual and team project courses each year - from prototyping to commercialisation.
Design Innovation major
For the major in the Bachelor of Māori Innovation, complete the following courses:
- PROD101 Product Design 1
- PROD111 Materials Science for Design
- PHYS111 Introductory Physics for Physical Sciences and Engineering
- PROD211 Materials Engineering and Selection
- PROD213 Industrial Product Design 1A
- PROD214 Industrial Product Design 1B
Experience in product design gives you a huge range of career possibilities, including launching your own business or product ideas. With a focus on Māori innovation, you will be able to design products for and with Māori, and be suited to working with other audiences and in indigenous markets overseas.
Some career pathways could include:
- Product manufacturing
- Research and Development (R&D)
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Design Innovation
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Making a difference in our global sustainability will need the lived experiences of all cultures, building on the diversity of our world views and histories. ...