Chemical Formulation Design
Chemical Formulation Design combines product innovation with design, science, engineering, and business skills.
This subject focuses on formulated products like pharmaceutical, agrochemical, personal care, and rongoā. You will analyse materials, focus on sustainable production, and test processes like quality and safety.
Find out more about Chemical Formulation Design.
- Apply your learning through team projects and entrepreneurship courses, and use dedicated product innovation spaces.
- Think about ways to incorporate tangata whenua in the product design process.
- Create prototypes and learn how to pitch your product.
Chemical Formulation Design major
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Product Design, along with the following major courses:
- CHEM111 Chemical Principles and Processes
- PROD131 Introduction to Formulation Science
- One 100-level Engineering or Science course
- PROD231 Product Formulation 1
- PROD232 Natural Products Properties and Production
- PROD233 Chemical and Healthcare Product Formulation 1A
- PROD234 Chemical and Healthcare Product Formulation 1B
- PROD235 Formulation Chemistry
- PROD230 Product Properties and Processing OR ENCH291 Mass and Energy Balances
- PROD331 Product Formulation 2
- PROD333 Chemical and Healthcare Product Formulation 2A
- PROD334 Chemical and Healthcare Product Formulation 2B
- One 200-level Engineering or Science course
- One 300-level Engineering or Science course
This subject will help you understand the complete chemical product design process — from idea generation to commercialisation. Other skills you will gain include prototyping, methods of analysis, regulatory requirements, commercial production, testing, and economics.
As a result of this degree, you will be ready to work in the industry or start your own business.
Career pathways could include:
- formulation scientist
- quality manager
- marketing and sales manager
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Chemical Formulation Design.
Te Kura Hanga Otinga | School of Product Design
Phone +64 3 369 4271 or +64 3 369 4272
Len Lye building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūhanga | Faculty of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Chemical Formulation Design
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Chemistry deals with the composition, structure, and behaviour of atoms and molecules that make up all forms of matter.Understanding the world at an atomic ...
Biomedical Engineering involves designing and creating medical and healthcare technology. This is a priority industry, as there is a growing need for ...