- Certificate in Commerce
- Diploma in Commerce
- Diploma in Science
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Digital Screen with Honours
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability
- Bachelor of Sport Coaching
- Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership
Accountants assess and report on the performance of organisations, and inform decisions about pricing, costs, systems and processes, investments, organisational strategy, and management. They also check if relevant rules and laws have been followed and ensure that the information is reliable and up-to-date.
At UC, you will learn about accounting, auditing, and tax rules and practices, and the role accountants play in many contexts including public, private, environmental, political, and more.
- Learn about important issues such as business ethics and corporate responsibility, data analytics, cryptocurrencies, and the increasing challenges of globalisation.
- The Accounting major qualifies you for provisional membership with professional bodies such as Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ), CPA Australia, and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), or other international organisations, which means you can become a certified, chartered accountant.
- You can minor in Accounting in a large number of bachelor’s degrees to add accounting and financial knowledge to your studies.
For the major in the Bachelor of Commerce, complete the following courses:
For those interested in provisional membership with professional accounting bodies, such as Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ), CPA Australia, and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), you will need to include specific courses in your degree in addition to the other Accounting major requirements. Contact a Student Advisor for more information.
For the complete three-year Bachelor of Commerce Accounting major degree plan, see Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School website.
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- ACCT211 Financial Accounting OR ACCT222 Management Accounting
- Two 200-level ACCT courses (which may include INFO243)
This subject covers a wide range of accounting topics in a number of different contexts, providing a solid foundation for a successful professional career in areas such as consulting, taxation, auditing, organisational control and management, investments, and financial management.
Some career pathways could include:
- Chartered Accountant
- Auditing and assurance
- Chief executive officer or financial controller
- Forensic accounting.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Accounting.
Reception Level 2, Meremere building – see campus maps
Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Accounting
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Statistics makes sense of data using mathematical modelling to explain what is observed and to predict what is yet unknown.There are many areas in which ...