Master of Water Resource Management
Managing the world's precious water resources requires professionals to have multidisciplinary knowledge and an integrated approach, involving ecological, scientific, political, hydrological, and planning skills.
The Master of Water Resource Management will prepare graduates for a professional career in water resource management. Students learn how to develop innovative and effective methods for the sustainable management of this critical resource in Aotearoa New Zealand and internationally.
Postgraduate students benefit from the teaching and research conducted by the Waterways Centre for Freshwater Management, a joint partnership between UC and Te Whare Wānaka o Aoraki | Lincoln University.
Students enrolling for the MWaterRM require a Postgraduate Diploma in Water Resource Management, or a relevant bachelor's degree.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Water Resource Management or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can enrol online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The first year (Part I) of the Master of Water Resource Management comprises three core courses, and other relevant courses from the Schedule.
In the second year (Part II) students undertake a research thesis with external stakeholder support and interest to provide them with experience in the sector.
- Part I and II: 2 years full-time; up to 4 years part-time.
- Part II (thesis-only): 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time.
Students normally begin the MWaterRM in February.
- WATR 401 Advanced Water Resources
- WATR 402 Water Quality and Quantity Assessment
- WATR 403 Water Management, Policy and Planning
Optional courses – choose at least 30 points:
- GEOG 404 Resource and Environmental Management (REM) in New Zealand (30 points)
- ENVR 410 Concepts and Principles of Environmental Science (15 points)
- ENVR 411 Case Studies in Environmental Science (15 points)
- MAST 603 Mana Kaitiaki (Māori Resource Management) ( 20 points) (Lincoln University)
- ERST 630 Environmental Policy and Planning (20 points) (Lincoln University)
- LWST 602 Advanced Resource Management and Planning Law (20 points) (Lincoln University)
- ERST 621 Principles of Environmental Impact Assessment (20 points) (Lincoln University)
- ERST 632 Economics in Environmental Policy (20 points) (Lincoln University)
Additional recommended course options (45 points) will be made available by the Waterways Centre for Freshwater Management.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2021||240||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$16,528|
|2022||240||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$16,808|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2021||240||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$79,000||$68,696|
|2022||240||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$80,000||$69,565|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Water Resource Management.
For study planning help, contact Te Kura Aronukurangi | School of Earth and Environment or the College of Science:
Te Rāngai Pūtaiao | College of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800