Wananga landing Wananga landing

Studentsafe insurance

10 November 2023

Health and travel insurance while you study in NZ is important. Studentsafe is UC's preferred medical and travel insurance for our international students. Unless you arrange approved alternative insurance, you'll automatically be given Studentsafe insurance. Find out about Studentsafe insurance.


The Studentsafe Inbound University Policy by Allianz Partners is UC's preferred medical and travel insurance for international students. You are automatically registered under the Studentsafe policy when you complete your enrolment, and the charge is added to your tuition fees invoice.  

Under the Studentsafe policy, when you travel to NZ to study for the first time, you automatically have up to 31 days of cover before the Course Start Date in which you have enrolled or pre-enrolled, even though your premium is not paid until your Enrolment in Person session.  You will have continuous cover throughout your study years, as long as you are fully enrolled and have paid the appropriate premium for each successive semester of study.


Studentsafe Inbound University Policy


Studentsafe premiums

Student (full year of study)810 NZD
Student +1 family member (full year of study)1,620 NZD
Student +2 or more family members (full year of study)2,025 NZD
Study Abroad Programme (one semester, half year of study) 405 NZD

The cost includes cover to your visa expiry date or 150 days after your final enrolment end date (whichever is earlier). The cost of this insurance will be added to your enrolment fees.


Policy details

The Studentsafe Inbound University Policy does not automatically cover Pre-existing Medical Conditions. A Pre-existing Medical Condition is a medical or physical condition that you had before you enrolled in the plan and can extend to Pre-existing Medical Conditions you were aware of but did not seek treatment for. Cover can be arranged in certain circumstances by completing a Medical Assessment Form. An additional premium will be charged if the insurer agrees to provide cover.

For any baggage items that are worth more than the policy item limit of $2,500 you can extend the cover and specify the item on your policy by filling in a Specified High Value Item Form. An additional premium will be charged to specify an item and you should insure it for the indemnity or current value of the item.

Family members can also be covered under the Studentsafe Inbound University Policy. A Family Application Form will need to be completed and an additional premium for the family unit will be payable to the University. Acceptance is subject to Allianz Partners approval.

Present the completed form and your family member’s passport/s during your Enrolment in Person session.

The family policy must start at the same time as the student's policy commences, and the appropriate additional insurance fee will be added to your statement of fees when you enrol/re-enrol annually.  Note: Family policies are not renewed automatically each year. You must apply for family policy renewal on or before the policy expiry date.

You can purchase a policy directly from InsurancesafeNZ if you decide to insure your family after you have already enrolled (a family policy must start at the same time as the student's policy commences) or if you wish to insure non-immediate family members (e.g. grandparents).

All Studentsafe-insured students enrolled at UC can use the UC Health Centre.

If your consultation/service is covered under your policy, the Health Centre will submit your claim on your behalf and you will not need to pay them.  

If your consultation/service is NOT covered under your policy, you will be required to pay. The attending GP or nurse will be able to tell you if you are eligible.

Please note family members are unable to attend the UC Health Centre. This is a service for students only. Family member should instead register with a medical centre in the community.  They would need to pay the medical centre directly for consultation/services, and then claim reimbursement from the Insurer.

Students can also choose to register with a medical centre in the community. They would need to pay the medical centre directly for consultation/services, and then claim reimbursement from the Insurer.

You have cover under your policy if your prescription optical aids are lost, stolen or your vision changes while you are studying. The insurer has an arrangement with Specsavers where you will not need to pay them first. Instead they will invoice the insurer directly. Specsavers have a number of branches throughout New Zealand. To apply for the no-pay service under this process, complete the Pre-approval Request Form or visit a store near you.

To learn more about how to make a claim, visit the Studentsafe Claims page for instructions.

The Studentsafe Inbound University Policy includes an excess of $200 for baggage and portable computers or sporting equipment. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please refer to the Policy Wording for detailed terms of cover.

To contact Studentsafe in NZ call toll-free on 0800 486 004.

If you are outside NZ and an emergency occurs during your travel or stopover, you can phone +64 9 486 6868. Collect calls will be accepted. Call your telephone operator in your country and ask to place a collect call. Call charges will then be paid by the insurance company from anywhere in the world for advice when you need it.

If you have a minor loss or event while travelling, keep all records and receipts then make a claim when you arrive in NZ.

Alternative insurance policies

If you don't want to use Studentsafe you can choose to use an alternative policy as long as it is assessed as meeting the minimum requirements.  See more

Studentsafe Inbound University brochure

Download (application/pdf, 399 KB)

Studentsafe Inbound University Policy

Download (application/pdf, 1 MB)
If you have any questions

Email us

Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.