Wananga landing Wananga landing

Alternative insurance

10 November 2023

If you don't want to use Studentsafe you can choose to use an alternative policy as long as it is assessed as meeting the minimum requirements. Find out about alternative insurance options.


If you don't want to purchase a Studentsafe Inbound University Policy, you must purchase an approved alternative policy instead. You will need to either choose from the list of approved alternative insurance policies below or apply to have your alternative policy assessed before you can complete your enrolment. 


Approved alternative insurance policies

The following alternative insurance plans have been assessed and are compliant for studying in NZ:

When you attend your Enrolment in Person session you must bring a certificate of insurance showing you have one of these insurance plans.

This certificate must show the start date and expiry date of the insurance. Your insurance must cover your enrolment from the official enrolment start date to the expiry date of your current student visa (or at least to the end date of your current enrolment if your visa is issued for the whole duration of your study programme). 


Getting your alternative insurance policy approved

If your insurance cover is not listed above, you must apply to have your cover assessed at least four weeks before you complete your Enrolment in Person. Please complete the following form and email it to us along with details of your insurance policy.

Your alternative insurance policy must meet the following minimum criteria.


Minimum insurance cover requirements

The following list details the minimum insurance cover requirement for a travel and medical insurance policy. 

The "sums insured" must be very high so that they will not be exceeded in any possible claim. The minimum requirements being:

  • NZ$1,000,000 for hospitalisation, general practitioners, and prescriptions
  • NZ$600,000 for medical rescue/repatriation should you becomes seriously ill or injured and need to be accompanied home with a medical professional
  • NZ$15,000 for funeral expenses and repatriation of the body back home
  • NZ$30,000 for accompanying relative cover. If you becomes seriously ill or die, cover is required to support a relative to accompany and support you. This should include the relative's day-to-day accommodation, reasonable living costs and the cost of airfares
  • NZ$20,000 to fly you home should a member of your immediate family become critically ill or die
  • NZ$20,000 for death or disability benefit
  • NZ$1,000,000 for personal liability
  • NZ$5,000 Loss or damage to baggage and other personal effects
  • NZ$5,000 for travel delay and missed transport connection

In addition, the following requirements must also be met:

  • The insurance commences on the day the student begins their travel.
  • The insurance applies whilst the student is in transit.
  • The insurance applies 24 hours a day for the total period of travel overseas.
  • The insurer must provide emergency 24-hour, 7 day per week cover.
  • Any excess or co-insurance must not exceed NZ$1000.
  • The broker or agent promoting the policy is a reputable and established company with substantial experience in the travel and medical insurance business.
  • The insurer (or re-insurer) is a reputable and established company with substantial experience in the travel insurance business. The credit rating must be no lower than BBB from Standard and Poors, or B+ from A M Best.

Note: If an insurance company imposes additional restrictions, conditions or exclusions on the insurance cover offered by the master policy, the University reserves the right not to accept the insurance policy as a compliant policy.

International student insurance policy assessment application

Download (application/pdf, 167 KB)
If you have any questions

Email us

Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.