Applications are now closed for the 2024 programme.
WiE CAN is a 5 day/4 night Women in Engineering residential programme featuring a range of interactive workshops, inspiring presentations, and fun social activities. You will be immersed in student life and experience the range of engineering subjects on offer at UC.
There are 60 places available and you don’t have to be top of the class to apply!
If you are…
- A female* student completing Year 12 in 2023 at a New Zealand high school
- Over the age of 16 years old by 14 January 2024
- Currently studying physics and maths**
- Excited to explore the limitless opportunities in engineering
- Interested in innovation, problem solving, and making a difference to society
- Wanting to experience life as a UC student
- Looking for a fun challenge to take on during the summer holidays
…this FREE, hands-on programme is for you!
* Applications open to female students and those who identify as female.
** Learn more about the BE(Hons) at UC.
WiE CAN details
Date: 14-18 January 2024. You will arrive the afternoon of Sunday 14 January to settle in and meet your fellow students, and depart Thursday 18 January after 12.30 pm.
Location: University of Canterbury, Christchurch.
Cost: FREE! UC will provide accommodation and meals during the programme, from afternoon tea on Sunday 14 January through to morning tea on Thursday 18 January. Any other meals or accommodation required are at the expense of the attendee.
Attendees are responsible for travel to and from the camp. For those experiencing financial hardship, assistance for travel expenses is available at the approval and discretion of the organisers.
Sample Timetable: WiE CAN 2023 programme (subject to change in 2024)
Application Dates: Applications open 17 July and close 25 August. Successful applicants will be notified by 15 September.
Spaces are limited to 60 students.
Your application must include:
- Your contact information
- A teacher reference (name and contact details; written reference optional)
- Your school subjects
- Details of any relevant academic achievements
- Details of any relevant extracurricular activities (eg maths/science clubs, industry work experience, etc)
- A clear and concise commentary — text (300 words or less) or video (under 3 min) — outlining why you should be chosen for WiE CAN 2024 (.doc, .pdf, .mp4, .mov, .wmv files preferred)
Make your application stand out by telling us all about you! We want to know more than your academic records – tell us about your passions and interests, brag about any clubs, competitions or projects you’ve been involved in, and convince us that you should attend WiE CAN 2024!
Note: We recommend you apply from your home network. Some applicants have experienced issues with their school networks blocking the application form submission. You will receive a copy of your application via email, but if you’re unsure if your form has been successfully submitted, please email the team.
The world needs engineers! Engineering touches all aspects of our everyday lives – the roads we drive on, the water we drink, the smartphones we use to communicate with our friends, and so much more!
We believe engineering solutions are better when they’re created by diverse teams which is why we want to inspire the next generation of female engineers to change the world!
Applications open: Monday 17 July
Applications close: 6pm, Friday 25 August
Applicants advised of outcome by email: By Friday 15 September