Through my research, teaching and outreach, I aim to improve our understanding of botanical biodiversity and promote its appreciation and conservation
The evolutionary history of Tribe Senecioneae:
Senecioneae is one of the largest tribes in the Asteraceae (ca. 3,100 species and 155 genera), has a nearly cosmopolitan distribution, and shows remarkable morphological and ecological diversity. To better understand the evolutionary success of Senecioneae and similarly large plant groups, we are taking a molecular phylogenetics approach to study the evolutionary relationships and mode and tempo of diversification of the Senecioneae
The biodiversity and conservation of Philippine Rafflesia:
The genus Rafflesia (Rafflesiaceae) is one of the few parasitic plants that are entirely contained within the tissue of their host plants. Rafflesia only emerges to produce its spectacular flowers, which are the largest of all flowering plants. Our studies of Philippine Rafflesia aim to make this charismatic genus an icon of conservation by demonstrating how knowledge of the taxonomic diversity, ecology, and evolutionary history of Rafflesia contributes to its conservation.
Co’s Digital Flora of the Philippines:
Co’s Digital Flora of the Philippines (CDFP; www.philippineplants.org) is an online checklist of Philippine vascular plants that aims to present a continuously updated account of all native and naturalized species of vascular plants in the Philippines with diagnostic photographs for each taxon. It is the only publicly available overview of the vascular plants of the Philippines.
- Liew CS., Courtney SP., de Lange PJ. and Pelser PB. (2021) Taxonomic realignment of Senecio glaucophyllus (Asteraceae; Senecioneae) necessitates a new name for a widespread New Zealand species. New Zealand Journal of Botany 59(3): 376-396. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0028825X.2020.1866030.
- Obico JJA., Barcelona JF., Bonhomme V., Hale M. and Pelser PB. (2021) Resolving the Tetrastigma loheri s. l. Species Complex (Vitaceae) in the Philippines: No Evidence for Recognizing More than One Species. Systematic Botany 46(3): 750-763. http://dx.doi.org/10.1600/036364421X16312067913327.
- Pelser PB., Brambach F., Mansibang J., Schaefer H., Kiew R. and Barcelona JF. (2021) New combinations and names for some Philippine vascular plants. Blumea: Journal of Plant Taxonomy and Plant Geography 66(1): 96-100. http://dx.doi.org/10.3767/blumea.2021.66.01.06.
- Agcaoili JM., Barcelona JF. and Pelser PB. (2020) Melastoma malabituin (Melastomataceae): a new species from northern Luzon, Philippines. Phytotaxa 435(1): 25-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/PHYTOTAXA.435.1.10.
- Agcaoili JM., Barcelona JF. and Pelser PB. (2020) Melastoma malabituin (Melastomataceae): a new species from northern Luzon, Philippines. Phytotaxa 435(1): 25-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.435.1.3.
Lab webpage: www.ucconsert.org