Through my research, teaching and outreach, I aim to improve our understanding of botanical biodiversity and promote its appreciation and conservation
The evolutionary history of Tribe Senecioneae:
Senecioneae is one of the largest tribes in the Asteraceae (ca. 3,100 species and 155 genera), has a nearly cosmopolitan distribution, and shows remarkable morphological and ecological diversity. To better understand the evolutionary success of Senecioneae and similarly large plant groups, we are taking a molecular phylogenetics approach to study the evolutionary relationships and mode and tempo of diversification of the Senecioneae
The biodiversity and conservation of Philippine Rafflesia:
The genus Rafflesia (Rafflesiaceae) is one of the few parasitic plants that are entirely contained within the tissue of their host plants. Rafflesia only emerges to produce its spectacular flowers, which are the largest of all flowering plants. Our studies of Philippine Rafflesia aim to make this charismatic genus an icon of conservation by demonstrating how knowledge of the taxonomic diversity, ecology, and evolutionary history of Rafflesia contributes to its conservation.
Co’s Digital Flora of the Philippines:
Co’s Digital Flora of the Philippines (CDFP; www.philippineplants.org) is an online checklist of Philippine vascular plants that aims to present a continuously updated account of all native and naturalized species of vascular plants in the Philippines with diagnostic photographs for each taxon. It is the only publicly available overview of the vascular plants of the Philippines.
- van Kleunen M., Pyšek P., Dawson W., Essl F., Kreft H., Pergl J., Weigelt P., Stein A., Dullinger S. and König C. (2019) The Global Naturalized Alien Flora (GloNAF) database.. Ecology 100(1): e02542. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ecy.2542.
- Liew CS., Memory AE., Ortiz-Barrientos D., De Lange PJ. and Pelser PB. (2018) The delimitation and evolutionary history of the Australasian Lautusoid group of Senecio (Asteraceae: Senecioneae). Taxon 67(1): 130-148. http://dx.doi.org/10.12705/671.8.
- Millar TR., Breitwieser I., Pelser PB. and Smissen RD. (2018) A new classification of rosette-forming Brachyglottis (Asteraceae: Senecioneae) recognising a single species: Brachyglottis lagopus. New Zealand Journal of Botany 56(3): 237-263. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0028825X.2018.1474769.
- Pelser PB., Olimpos SMB., O'Byrne P. and Barcelona JF. (2018) A new species of Amyema (Loranthaceae) and a new Gastrodia (Orchidaceae) record for the Philippines from Negros Island. PHYTOTAXA 371(1): 25-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.371.1.3.
- Salares VB., Obico JJA., Ormerod P., Barcelona JF. and Pelser PB. (2018) Taxonomic novelties from Cebu: a new species of Vaccinium (Ericaceae) and a new record of Phaius (Orchidaceae) for the Philippines. PHYTOTAXA 360(3): 255-262. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.360.3.5.
Lab webpage: www.ucconsert.org