My primary research interest is the early life history of fish.
- Watson AS., Hickford MJH. and Schiel DR. (2022) Interacting effects of density and temperature on fish growth rates in freshwater protected populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 289(1967) http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2021.1982.
- Armstrong BA., Moltchanova E., Hickford MJH. and Schiel DR. (2021) Comparing the performance of supervised classification methods on a multispecies fishery of post-larval galaxiids. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2021.1934488.
- Watson AS., Hickford MJH. and Schiel DR. (2021) Freshwater reserves for fisheries conservation and enhancement of a widespread migratory fish. Journal of Applied Ecology 58(10): 2135-2145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.13967.
- Yungnickel MR., Hickford M. and Schiel DR. (2020) Spatio-temporal variation in species composition of New Zealand's whitebait fishery. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 54(4): 679-694. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2020.1745854.
- Egan EMC., Hickford MJH. and Schiel DR. (2019) Understanding the life histories of amphidromous fish by integrating otolith-derived growth reconstructions, post-larval migrations and reproductive traits. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 29(9): 1391-1402. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aqc.3145.