My research focusses on the microbial ecology and geobiological interactions within extreme ecosystems with the aim of underpinning conservation efforts, providing for industrial applications, and to understand the ecosystem services provided by these microbial communities. Much of my fieldwork is carried out in geothermal ecosystems in the central north island of New Zealand known as the Taupo Volcanic Zone.
I investigate the taxonomic, genomic and functional diversity of extremophile communities using cross-disciplinary approaches.
These include the cultivation and characterisation of novel microbial
strains (I have described first representatives of a new phylum, and a class, as well several genera and species), molecular community and
geochemical surveys (e.g. the 1000 Springs Project: http://1000Springs.org.nz), and the
genomic and physiological analyses of isolates and consortium (particularly
methanotrophs and atmospheric trace gas scavengers) to understand growth and survival mechanisms within these challenging environments
The themes of this research have both strong conservation and industrial foci.
- Gardner PP., Watson RJ., Morgan XC., Draper JL., Finn RD., Morales SE. and Stott MB. (2019) Identifying accurate metagenome and amplicon software via a meta-analysis of sequence to taxonomy benchmarking studies. PeerJ 2019(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj.6160.
- Islam ZF., Cordero PRF., Feng J., Chen YJ., Bay SK., Jirapanjawat T., Gleadow RM., Carere CR., Stott MB. and Chiri E. (2019) Two Chloroflexi classes independently evolved the ability to persist on atmospheric hydrogen and carbon monoxide. ISME Journal 13(7): 1801-1813. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41396-019-0393-0.
- St. John E., Liu Y., Podar M., Stott MB., Meneghin J., Chen Z., Lagutin K., Mitchell K. and Reysenbach AL. (2019) A new symbiotic nanoarchaeote (Candidatus Nanoclepta minutus) and its host (Zestosphaera tikiterensis gen. nov., sp. nov.) from a New Zealand hot spring. Systematic and Applied Microbiology 42(1): 94-106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.syapm.2018.08.005.
- Tomazini A., Higasi P., Manzine LR., Stott M., Sparling R., Levin DB. and Polikarpov I. (2019) A novel thermostable GH5 β-xylosidase from Thermogemmatispora sp. T81. New Biotechnology 53: 57-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nbt.2019.07.002.
- Oliverio AM., Power JF., Washburne A., Cary SC., Stott MB. and Fierer N. (2018) The ecology and diversity of microbial eukaryotes in geothermal springs. ISME Journal 12(8): 1918-1928. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41396-018-0104-2.