Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests are focussed around basin analysis of arc-related basins and reconstruction of paleogeography and tectonic setting. Research techniques include petrographic and geochemical techniques for provenance analysis, the interaction of volcanic and sedimentary processes, structural control on basin geometry and facies distributions, and basin response to oblique plate convergence. Geoarcheology is a new interest and we have recently developed a new programme in that area. Current areas of research include: quartz provenance analysis using cathodoluminescence, terrane accretion and provenance analysis in Antarctica, volcanic sedimentation and basin analysis along the modern plate boundary in New Zealand.
- Barrier A., Bischoff A., Nicol A., Browne GH. and Bassett KN. (2021) Relationships between volcanism and plate tectonics: A case-study from the Canterbury Basin, New Zealand. Marine Geology 433 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2020.106397.
- Barrier A., Nicol A., Browne GH. and Bassett KN. (2020) Late Cretaceous coeval multi-directional extension in South Zealandia: Implications for eastern Gondwana breakup. Marine and Petroleum Geology 118 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2020.104383.
- Smithies SL., Bassett KN., Browne GH. and Nichols ARL. (2020) Provenance of the Pakawau Group and Farewell Formation (Late Cretaceous–Paleocene), Taranaki Basin, northwest Nelson, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 63(1): 1-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2019.1603164.
- Barrier A., Nicol A., Browne GH. and Bassett K. (2019) Early Oligocene marine canyon-channel systems: Implications for regional paleogeography in the Canterbury Basin, New Zealand. Marine Geology 418 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2019.106037.
- Hill SH., Villeneuve MC. and Bassett KN. (2019) Geomechanical characterization of reservoir rocks in the southern Taranaki Basin, New Zealand. In 53rd U.S. Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium.