Senior Lecturer Above the BarKari Bassett
Sedimentology & Basin Analysis
Beatrice Tinsley Rm 222
Internal Phone: 94495
Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests are focussed around basin analysis of arc-related basins and reconstruction of paleogeography and tectonic setting. Research techniques include petrographic and geochemical techniques for provenance analysis, the interaction of volcanic and sedimentary processes, structural control on basin geometry and facies distributions, and basin response to oblique plate convergence. Geoarcheology is a new interest and we have recently developed a new programme in that area. Current areas of research include: quartz provenance analysis using cathodoluminescence, terrane accretion and provenance analysis in Antarctica, volcanic sedimentation and basin analysis along the modern plate boundary in New Zealand.
- Barrier A., Browne GH., Nicol A. and Bassett K. (2022) Sedimentary architecture of a Late Cretaceous under-filled rift basin, Canterbury Basin, New Zealand. Basin Research 34(1): 342-365. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bre.12622.
- Maitra MK. and Bassett KN. (2022) Alluvial fans and fan deltas in the Paparoa Formation, Greymouth Basin: a new rift model. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 65(4): 555-581. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2021.1984257.
- Barrier A., Bischoff A., Nicol A., Browne GH. and Bassett KN. (2021) Relationships between volcanism and plate tectonics: A case-study from the Canterbury Basin, New Zealand. Marine Geology 433 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2020.106397.
- Barrier A., Nicol A., Browne GH. and Bassett KN. (2020) Late Cretaceous coeval multi-directional extension in South Zealandia: Implications for eastern Gondwana breakup. Marine and Petroleum Geology 118 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2020.104383.
- Smithies SL., Bassett KN., Browne GH. and Nichols ARL. (2020) Provenance of the Pakawau Group and Farewell Formation (Late Cretaceous–Paleocene), Taranaki Basin, northwest Nelson, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 63(1): 1-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2019.1603164.