Co-leader (with M H G Munro) of Marine Chemistry group, the focus of which is on the isolation and characterisation of novel biologically-active metabolites from marine invertebrates and fungi. Once identified, the compounds are subjected to chemical modifications to establish structure-activity relationships. Much emphasis is placed on the development and exploitation of NMR methods appropriate to the investigation of very small samples.
- Leal MC., Anaya-Rojas JM., Munro MHG., Blunt JW., Melian CJ., Calado R. and Lürig MD. (2020) Fifty years of capacity building in the search for new marine natural products. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 117(39): 24165-24172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2007610117.
- Blunt JW., Copp BR., Keyzers RA., Munro MHG. and Prinsep MR. (2017) Marine natural products. Natural Product Reports 34(3): 235-294. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c6np00124f.
- Blunt JW., Copp BR., Keyzers RA., Munro MHG. and Prinsep MR. (2016) Marine natural products. Natural Product Reports 33(3): 382-431. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c5np00156k.
- Leal MC., Hilário A., Munro MHG., Blunt JW. and Calado R. (2016) Natural products discovery needs improved taxonomic and geographic information. Natural Product Reports 33(6): 747-750. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c5np00130g.
- Marsden ID., Contreras AM., Mackenzie L. and Munro MHG. (2016) A comparison of the physiological responses, behaviour and biotransformation of paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins in a surf-clam (Paphies donacina) and the green-lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus). Marine and Freshwater Research 67(8): 1163-1174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF14374.