Active tectonics and structure along the New Zealand (North Canterbury and east coast North Island) and southern California (western Salton Trough) plate boundary zones. Structural geomorphology in transpressional settings, especially the role of topographic loading with respect to near-surface fault zone geometry. The role of tectonic and climatic forcing in triggering large bedrock controlled landslides in landscape evolution. Hikurangi Margin soft-rock terrain, eastern North Island. Engineering geology, particularly slope instability, paleoseismicity and earthquake hazard assessment.
- Brough T., Nicol A., Stahl T., Pettinga JR., Dissen RV., Clark D., Khajavi N., Pedley K., Langridge R. and Wang N. (2021) Paleoseismicity of the western Humps fault on the Emu Plain, North Canterbury, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2021.1986727.
- Vermeer JL., Quigley MC., Duffy BG., Langridge RM. and Pettinga JR. (2021) Structure and kinematics of active faulting in the Hope-Kelly and Alpine Fault intersection zone, South Island, New Zealand. Tectonophysics 813 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2021.228928.
- Davidson SR., Barnes PM., Pettinga JR., Nicol A., Mountjoy JJ. and Henrys SA. (2020) Conjugate strike-slip faulting across a subduction front driven by incipient seamount subduction. Geology 48(5): 493-498. http://dx.doi.org/10.1130/G47154.1.
- Okada T., Iio Y., Matsumoto S., Bannister S., Ohmi S., Horiuchi S., Sato T., Miura T., Pettinga J. and Ghisetti F. (2019) Comparative tomography of reverse-slip and strike-slip seismotectonic provinces in the northern South Island, New Zealand. Tectonophysics 765: 172-186. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2019.03.016.
- Van Dissen RJ., Stahl T., King A., Pettinga JR., Fenton C., Little TA., Litchfield NJ., Stirling MW., Langridge RM. and Nicol A. (2019) Impacts of surface fault rupture on residential structures during the 2016 M
w7.8 Kaikōura earthquake, New Zealand. Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 52(1): 1-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.5459/bnzsee.52.1.1-22.