Research interests include the genetics and molecular biology of bacteria, phage and some single-celled eukaryotic microorganisms, horizontal gene transfer, particularly conjugation, effects of stress, particularly induced by antibiotics and agrichemicals, evolution and risk assessment, and biology education research. Specific interests are the biochemical and genetic characterization of antibiotic resistance causation.
- Alderton I., Palmer BR., Heinemann JA., Pattis I., Weaver L., Gutiérrez-Ginés MJ., Horswell J. and Tremblay LA. (2021) The role of emerging organic contaminants in the development of antimicrobial resistance. Emerging Contaminants 7: 160-171. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.emcon.2021.07.001.
- Heinemann JA., Paull DJ., Walker S. and Kurenbach B. (2021) Differentiated impacts of human interventions on nature: Scaling the conversation on regulation of gene technologies. Elementa 9(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1525/elementa.2021.00086.
- Wasa A., Land J., Gorthy R., Krumdieck S., Bishop C., Godsoe W. and Heinemann J. (2021) Antimicrobial and biofilm-disrupting nanostructured TiO2 coating demonstrating photoactivity and dark activity. FEMS Microbiology Letters Accepted.
- Dickie I., Heinemann J., Garrill A., Lauren-Manuera N., Meisrimler C., Stott M. and Remus-Emsermann M. (2020) Teaching laboratory best practice considerations for Covid19. Research gate: http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.14923149.v2.
- Gorthy R., Wasa A., Land J., Yang Z., Heinemann J., Bishop C. and Krumdieck S. (2020) Effects of post-deposition heat treatment on nanostructured TiO2-C composite structure and antimicrobial properties. Surface and Coatings Technology Accepted.