Research interests include the genetics and molecular biology of bacteria, phage and some single-celled eukaryotic microorganisms, horizontal gene transfer, particularly conjugation, effects of stress, particularly induced by antibiotics and agrichemicals, evolution and risk assessment, and biology education research. Specific interests are the biochemical and genetic characterization of antibiotic resistance causation.
- Heinemann JA. and Goldstien S. (2022) ‘Bums off seats’: measuring the effects of active learning in an undergraduate molecular biology curriculum. Journal of Biological Education 56(1): 25-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00219266.2020.1748687.
- van Hamelsveld S., Ferguson GC., Kurenbach B., Paull DJ., Weepu I. and Heinemann JA. (2022) Draft Genome Sequences of 15 Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia coli Strains Isolated from Indigenous Foods and Food-Gathering Sites in Aotearoa, New Zealand.. Microbiol Resour Announc 11(5): e0115821. http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/mra.01158-21.
- Alderton I., Palmer BR., Heinemann JA., Pattis I., Weaver L., Gutiérrez-Ginés MJ., Horswell J. and Tremblay LA. (2021) The role of emerging organic contaminants in the development of antimicrobial resistance. Emerging Contaminants 7: 160-171. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.emcon.2021.07.001.
- Gorthy R., Wasa A., Land JG., Yang Z., Heinemann JA., Bishop CM. and Krumdieck SP. (2021) Effects of post-deposition heat treatment on nanostructured TiO
2-C composite structure and antimicrobial properties. Surface and Coatings Technology 409 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2021.126857.
- Heinemann J. (2021) Submission on Proposal P1055 Definitions of Gene Technology. In Submission on Proposal P1055 Definitions of Gene Technology, http://dx.doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.26196.32647.