Research interests include the genetics and molecular biology of single-celled bacteria, phage and some eukaryotic microorganisms, horizontal gene transfer, particularly conjugation, effects of stress, particularly induced by antibiotics and agrochemicals, evolution and risk assessment, influence of language on science and eugenics. Specific interests are the biochemical and genetic characterization of horizontal gene transfer (particularly as it relates to the evolution of virulence and antibiotic resistance in microbes and the risks of genetically modified/engineered organisms) and yeast, bacteria and the test of evolutionary theories.
- Heinemann JA. (2019) Should dsRNA treatments applied in outdoor environments be regulated? Environment International 132 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.05.050.
- Jun H., Kurenbach B., Aitken J., Wasa A., Remus-Emsermann MNP., Godsoe W. and Heinemann JA. (2019) Effects of sub-lethal concentrations of copper ammonium acetate, pyrethrins and atrazine on the response of Escherichia coli to antibiotics.. F1000Research 8: 32. http://dx.doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.17652.1.
- Krumdieck S., Boichot R., Gorthy R., Land J., Lay S., Gardecka A., Polson M., Wasa A., Aitken J. and Heinemann J. (2019) Nanostructured TiO2 anatase-rutile-carbon solid coating with visible light antimicrobial activity. Scientific Reports 9 1883: 11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-38291-y.
- Van Hamelsveld S., Adewale ME., Kurenbach B., Godsoe W., Harding JS., Remus-Emsermann MNP. and Heinemann JA. (2019) Prevalence of antibiotic-resistant Escherichia coli isolated from urban and agricultural streams in Canterbury, New Zealand. FEMS Microbiology Letters 366(8) http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsle/fnz104.
- Heinemann J., Coray DS. and Thaler DS. (2018) Exploratory fact-finding scoping study on "digital sequence information" on genetic resources for food and agriculture.Commissioned by Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. 86.