Research interests include marine intertidal and subtidal ecology and aquaculture.
- Armstrong BA., Moltchanova E., Hickford MJH. and Schiel DR. (2021) Comparing the performance of supervised classification methods on a multispecies fishery of post-larval galaxiids. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2021.1934488.
- Orchard S. and Schiel DR. (2021) Enabling nature-based solutions for climate change on a peri-urban sandspit in Christchurch, New Zealand. Regional Environmental Change 21(3) http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10113-021-01791-1.
- Tait LW., Orchard S. and Schiel DR. (2021) Missing the forest and the trees: Utility, limits and caveats for drone imaging of coastal marine ecosystems. Remote Sensing 13(16) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/rs13163136.
- Tait LW., Thoral F., Pinkerton MH., Thomsen MS. and Schiel DR. (2021) Loss of Giant Kelp, Macrocystis pyrifera, Driven by Marine Heatwaves and Exacerbated by Poor Water Clarity in New Zealand. Frontiers in Marine Science 8 http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.721087.
- Thomsen MS., Mondardini L., Thoral F., Gerber D., Montie S., South PM., Tait L., Orchard S., Alestra T. and Schiel DR. (2021) Cascading impacts of earthquakes and extreme heatwaves have destroyed populations of an iconic marine foundation species. Diversity and Distributions http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ddi.13407.