Qualifications & Memberships
Slope stability and landslide hazard mitigation, including rockfall studies. Land-use planning, with emphasis on site investigation and geological hazard evaluation. Geotechnical characterisation of hard and soft rocks in relation to engineering construction projects. Loess erodibility and chemical stabilisation of soils. Groundwater resource evaluation and pollution studies. Engineering and environmental aspects of mining projects. Geomorphological studies and landscape development processes. Late Quaternary glacial geology in the southern South Island. Dating and movement history of large schist-derived landslides in Otago.
- Ridl RN., Villenueve MC., Bell DH. and Macfarlane DF. (2021) Mineralogical control on the intact strength of schist in Central Otago, New Zealand. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 833(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/833/1/012037.
- Nobes DC., Jol HM., Smith GM. and Bell DH. (2018) Using GPR to Delineate the Porter's Pass Fault at the Acheron Rock Avalanche, New Zealand. In Proceedings GPR 2018 http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICGPR.2018.8441617.
- Yates K., Fenton CH. and Bell DH. (2018) A review of the geotechnical characteristics of loess and loess-derived soils from Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand. Engineering Geology http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.08.001.
- Forbes E., Trumm D., Bell DH. and Pope J. (2017) Comparison of diversion well substrates for the treatment of acid mine drainage, Bellvue Mine, West Coast, New Zealand. In Proceedings AusIMM Annual Conference: 6.
- Jenkinson HGB. and Bell DH. (2017) Underlying failure mechanism and spatial extent of the Omoto Slip, Greymouth, New Zealand. In Proceedings of the 20th New Zealand Geotechnical Symposium: 8.