Qualifications & Memberships
Slope stability and landslide hazard mitigation, including rockfall studies. Land-use planning, with emphasis on site investigation and geological hazard evaluation. Geotechnical characterisation of hard and soft rocks in relation to engineering construction projects. Loess erodibility and chemical stabilisation of soils. Groundwater resource evaluation and pollution studies. Engineering and environmental aspects of mining projects. Geomorphological studies and landscape development processes. Late Quaternary glacial geology in the southern South Island. Dating and movement history of large schist-derived landslides in Otago.
- Ridl RN., Bell DH., Villenueve MC. and Macfarlane DF. (2022) A simple method to model buckling slope instability using continuum numerical models. In The Evolution of Geotech - 25 Years of Innovation: 443-449. http://dx.doi.org/10.1201/9781003188339-57.
- Ridl RN., Villenueve MC., Bell DH. and Macfarlane DF. (2021) Mineralogical control on the intact strength of schist in Central Otago, New Zealand. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 833(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/833/1/012037.
- Nobes DC., Jol HM., Smith GM. and Bell DH. (2018) Using GPR to Delineate the Porter's Pass Fault at the Acheron Rock Avalanche, New Zealand. In Proceedings GPR 2018 http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICGPR.2018.8441617.
- Winkler S., Bell D., Hemmingsen M., Pedley KL. and Schoch A. (2018) Disestablishing “Glacial Lake Speight”, New Zealand? An example for the validity of detailed geomorphological assessment with the study of mountain glaciations. E&G: Quaternary Science Journal 67: 25-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/egqsj-67-25-2018.
- Yates K., Fenton CH. and Bell DH. (2018) A review of the geotechnical characteristics of loess and loess-derived soils from Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand. Engineering Geology http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.08.001.