We are broadly interested in the synthesis of new and interesting organic molecules, particularly focusing on colossal aromatic molecules. Such compounds are intrinsically interesting as materials, but are also being investigated for their ability to form novel coordination and organometallic supramolecular assemblies. The preparation of such systems requires the use of modern organic synthetic techniques, including developing new reactions. The formation of new and interesting materials is the ultimate goal. These are subsequently examined for their chemical, physical and properties.
We are currently working on the following projects:
~ The synthesis of large aromatic molecules with novel electronic and photo-chemical behavior.
~ Controlling intermolecular interactions is supramolecular assemblies.
~ The preparation and investigation of asymmetric catalysts using propeller based chirality.
~ Anion transporters for therapeutic applications.nic reactions.
~ The development of X-ray charge density analysis at the University of Canterbury.
- Schwamm RJ., Edwards AJ., Fitchett CM. and Coles MP. (2019) A study of di(amino)stibines with terminal Sb(iii) hydrogen-ligands by X-ray- and neutron-diffraction. Dalton Transactions 48(9): 2953-2958. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c8dt05113e.
- Schwamm RJ., Fitchett CM. and Coles MP. (2019) Intramolecular Metal⋅⋅⋅π-Arene Interactions in Neutral and Cationic Main Group Compounds. Chemistry - An Asian Journal 14(8): 1204-1211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asia.201801729.
- Wonanke ADD., Ferguson JL., Fitchett CM. and Crittenden DL. (2019) Predicting the Outcome of Photocyclisation Reactions: A Joint Experimental and Computational Investigation. Chemistry - An Asian Journal 14(8): 1293-1303. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asia.201801761.
- Schwamm RJ., Anker MD., Lein M., Coles MP. and Fitchett CM. (2018) Indyllithium and the Indyl Anion [InL] − : Heavy Analogues of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition 57(20): 5885-5887. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201802444.
- Schwamm RJ., Anker MD., Lein M., Coles MP. and Fitchett CM. (2018) Indyllithium and the Indyl Anion [InL]− : Heavy Analogues of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes. Angewandte Chemie 130(20): 5987-5989. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ange.201802444.