The Fast Path into Engineering and Product Design degrees
3 Steps to start your degree in February 2023
The University of Canterbury (UC) and Hagley College collaborated to bring you this three-stage pathway designed for 20+ students. The courses offer blended learning, with part-time and flexible study opportunities. You will receive course advice at each stage based on your background and performance, your intended career, and appropriate available course options.
Stage 1: Te Puna Wai o Waipapa Hagley College After 3 programme
22 June to 4 November 2022
- Pre-UC Mathematics course (Tuesdays, 6-9pm, from 28 June)
- Pre-UC Physics and Maths integrated course (Wednesdays, 5-9pm, from 22 June + 2 hours additional online)
- Blend of online and face-to-face delivery
- Visits to UC to meet teachers from Stage 2 Transitions programme
Pre-requisite: NCEA Level 1 Math, with algebra fundamentals.
Stage 2: University of Canterbury Transitions Programme
7 November 2022 to February 2023
A choice of pre-degree courses in Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry over the 2022/2023 Summer School and Headstart Programmes.
- TRNS007 Preparatory Mathematics (7 November - 16 December 2022)
- TRNS008 Fundamentals of Physics (4 January - 12 February 2023) and
- TRNS017 Mathematics with Calculus or TRNS006 Chemistry: An introduction to atoms, bonding, and reactions (4 January - 12 February 2023)
Stage 3: University of Canterbury 1st Year BE(Hons) or BProdDesign
Begin your journey into Engineering or Product Design degrees.
Student advisors in the College of Engineering will design a customised first year course of study based on your Stage 1 and 2 performance and your future aspirations. There are a range of engineering and product design disciplines to choose from. Work experience will be taken into account.
Who is it for?
- Those aged 20+ (or with UE in another field), considering a change to a career in Engineering or Product Design.
- if you are under 20 years old and do not have UE, you will need to meet UE requirements by completing the CUP programme or getting additional NCEA credits.
- Support: advice and guidance from early on in your pathway about study options, demands and expectations, particularly in Mathematics.
- Skill development: develop study habits and strategies for success at degree level.
- Connections: grow an established network of fellow students through the cohort progressing together and become familiar with the UC campus, learning systems and people.
|22 June – 4 Nov 2022||7 Nov 2022 – 12 Feb 2023||20 Feb 2023|
|Maths and Physics Integrated||
TRNS017 Maths with Calculus
TRNS008 Fundamentals of Physics
|Maths and Physics Integrated||
TRNS008 Fundamentals of Physics (Recommended)
TRNS006 Chemistry: An introduction to atoms,
|NCEA Level 2||Pre-degree||Degree: Year 1|
For more information at UC contact the Student Transitions and Engagement team:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone: +64 3 369 3337
For more information at Hagley College contact the Hagley Tertiary Pathways Programme team:
Hagley College | Te Puna Wai o Waipapa
510 Hagley Avenue
Phone: +64 3 379 3090