The FAST PATH into Engineering and Product Design degrees
3 steps to start your degree in February 2021
The University of Canterbury (UC) and Hagley College collaborated to bring you this three-stage pathway designed for 20+ students. The courses offer blended learning, with part-time and flexible study opportunities. You will receive course advice at each stage based on your background and performance, your intended career, and appropriate available course options.
Stage 1: Hagley College After 3 programme
Mid-July to mid-November 2020
- Level 2 NCEA Physics and Mathematics integrated course.
- Level 2 NCEA Maths [recommended to build maths depth that is needed for success in UC Engineering]. Both courses delivered by Hagley College staff.
- You will be offered the opportunity to visit UC and be introduced to Engineering and Product Design people and spaces, subject to COVID-19 alert levels.
Stage 2: UC University Preparation programme
5 January to 12 February 2021
- A choice of pre-degree courses in Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry available in the summer school 2021 Headstart Programme.
- You will receive a blended experience of online and face-to-face delivery, provided by UC’s Transition Programmes (delivery options will depend on your competencies and degree aspirations).
Stage 3 First Year of BE(Hons) or BProdDesign
Start 22 February 2021
- Student Advisors in the College of Engineering at UC will design an appropriate first year course of study based on your Stage 1 and 2 performance, your previous relevant work experience, and your future aspirations.
- Delivered by UC College of Engineering. This will be the start of degree study.
Who is it for?
- Those aged 20+ (or with UE in another field), considering a change in career to Engineering or Product Design.
- It is important to note that this programme of study will prepare you for University level study, but does not meet university entry (UE) requirements.
- If you are under 20 years old and do not have UE, you will need to meet UE requirements by completing the CUP Programme or getting additional NCEA credits.
What else will you receive?
- Support: advice and guidance from early on in your pathway about your study options and the demands and expectations of study in these fields.
- Skill development: during stage 1 and 2, you will be supported to develop study habits and strategies for success at degree level.
- Flexibility: Full time study will only start in January 2021 for some students. A blend of class based and online learning offers support and flexibility.
- grow an established network of fellow students through the cohort progressing together.
- Throughout the stages of the pathway you will be introduced to, and become increasingly familiar with, UC’s campus and people.
|21 July – 10 Nov 2020||4 Jan – 12 Feb 2021||22 Feb 2021 – Feb 2022|
|Maths and Physics Integrated*||
TRNS017 Maths with Calculus
TRNS008 Fundamentals of Physics
|Maths and Physics Integrated*||
TRNS008 Fundamentals of Physics (Recommended)
TRNS006 Chemistry: An introduction to atoms,
|NCEA Level 2||Pre-degree||Degree: Year 1|
*Maths and Physics Integrated: starts Wed, 22 July 2020, 5 - 9pm face-to-face delivery, with two additional hours of online learning. Concludes 11 November 2020 (15 weeks total).
Maths: starts Tues, 21 July 2020, 6 - 9pm face-to-face delivery, one additional tutoring hour. Concludes 10 November 2020 (15 weeks total).
Physics NCEA exam: 16 November 2020
Maths NCEA exam: 19 November 2020
For more information, contact the Student Transitions and Engagement team:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800