Women in Engineering Residential Programme
19 - 23 January 2020
Applications are now closed for WiE CAN 2020.
WiE CAN is a 5 day/4 night Women in Engineering residential programme featuring a range of interactive workshops, inspiring presentations and fun social activities. You will be immersed in student life and experience the range of engineering subjects on offer at UC.
You don’t have to be top of the class to apply for WiE CAN!
If you are…
- A female student* completing Year 12 in 2019 at a New Zealand high school
- Over the age of 16 years old by 19 January 2020
- Currently studying maths and physics
- Excited to explore the limitless opportunities in engineering
- Interested in innovation, problem solving and making a difference to society
- Wanting to experience life as a UC student
- Looking for a fun challenge to take on during the summer holidays
…this FREE, hands-on programme is for you!
Date: 19-23 January 2020. You will arrive the afternoon of Sunday 19 January to settle in and meet your fellow students, and depart Thursday 23 January after 12.30pm.
Location: UC College of Engineering, Christchurch.
Accommodation: Rochester and Rutherford Hall
Eligibility: Open to female students* aged 16 years or over, completing Year 12 in 2019 at a New Zealand high school.
Cost: FREE! UC will provide accommodation and meals during the programme, from afternoon tea on Sunday 19 January through to morning tea on Thursday 23 January. Any other meals or accommodation required are at the expense of the attendee.
A $100 travel grant will be provided to all successful applicants who live outside Canterbury (for the purpose of this programme, Canterbury is defined as south of the Hurunui River and north of the Rangitata River).
View the WiE CAN programme
Spaces are limited to 60 students.
Your application must include:
- Your contact information
- A teacher reference (name and contact details only)
- Your school subjects
- Details of any relevant academic achievements
- Details of any relevant extracurricular activities (eg maths/science clubs, industry work experience, etc)
- A clear and concise commentary outlining why you should be chosen for WiE CAN 2020. Format can be text (250 words or less - .doc or .pdf preferred) or video (under 3 min - .mp4, .mov, .wmv files preferred)
Last year, there were 266 applicants for just 60 places! Make your application stand out by telling us all about you! We want to know more than your academic records – tell us about your passions and interests or brag about any clubs, competitions or projects you’ve been involved in.
Don't just regurgitate the words on this webpage! If you want to explore engineering opportunities, tell us what disciplines excite you the most. If you're interested in innovation, tell us why. If you're determined to make a difference in society, tell us how you plan to do it!
Most of all, be yourself and convince us that you should attend WiE CAN 2020!
The world needs engineers! Engineering touches all aspects of our everyday lives – the roads we drive on, the water we drink, the smartphones we use to communicate with our friends, and so much more!
We believe engineering solutions are better when they’re created by diverse teams which is why we want to inspire the next generation of female engineers to change the world!
Applications open: Monday 1 July
Applications close: Extended to 6.00pm, Sunday 18 August due to technical issues
If you are unable to upload files to the form please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants advised of outcome by email: Friday 6 September
If you have any questions about the programme or application process, contact email@example.com.
*Applications open to female students or those who identify as female.