Dr. Zhang brings research and experience from the combination of advanced manufacturing and biomedical fields. This includes electrospinning/bioprinting 3D scaffolds for in vitro Alzheimer's disease models, microfabrication of microcalorimeter arrays, design/fabrication of tactile sensors and machine learning for engineering applications. For example, the microcalorimeter array was used to monitor heat generation of cellular metabolisms, which can be used for environmental monitoring and drug screening. The bioprinter was designed based on non-diffraction laser beams used for 3D printing of vascular tubes used for the culture of complex tissues.
- Wu Y., Peng Y., Bohra H., Zou J., Ranjan VD., Zhang Y., Zhang Q. and Wang M. (2019) Photoconductive Micro/Nanoscale Interfaces of a Semiconducting Polymer for Wireless Stimulation of Neuron-Like Cells. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 11(5): 4833-4841. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b19631.
- Yi Z. and Zhang Y. (2019) A spike train distance-based method to evaluate the response of mechanoreceptive afferents. Neural Computing and Applications 31(10): 6319-6330. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00521-018-3465-6.
- Zhang Y., Li C., Wu Y., Zhang Y., Zhou Z. and Cao B. (2019) A microfluidic gradient mixer-flow chamber as a new tool to study biofilm development under defined solute gradients. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 116(1): 54-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bit.26852.
- Chen X., Wu Y., Ranjan VD. and Zhang Y. (2018) Three-dimensional electrical conductive scaffold from biomaterial-based carbon microfiber sponge with bioinspired coating for cell proliferation and differentiation. Carbon 134: 174-182. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2018.03.064.
- Jin L., Hu B., Kuddannaya S., Zhang Y., Li C. and Wang Z. (2018) A three-dimensional carbon nanotube–nanofiber composite foam for selective adsorption of oils and organic liquids. Polymer Composites 39: E271-E277. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pc.24334.