Qualifications & Memberships
My core research is in the general area of dynamical systems. The subject is exciting because it is a meeting place for real applications, numerical computation and beautiful theorems. A lot of my work is on the probabilistic side of dynamical systems: this is called "ergodic theory", where one seeks to know about the statistical properties of complex systems. I have made significant contributions in "numerical ergodic theory": approximation of important dynamical objects on a computer, with confidence in the accuracy of the output, backed by mathematical rigour. My more applied work involves collaborators in ecology, energy and transport, engineering and the mathematics of medicine.
- Lam NN., Docherty PD. and Murray R. (2022) Practical identifiability of parametrised models: A review of benefits and limitations of various approaches. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 199: 202-216. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matcom.2022.03.020.
- Gallardo P., Murray R. and Krumdieck S. (2021) A sequential optimization-simulation approach for planning the transition to the low carbon freight system with case study in the North Island of New Zealand. Energies 14(11) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en14113339.
- Lam N., Murray R., Docherty PD., Te Morenga L. and Chase JG. (2021) The Effects of Additional Local-Mixing Compartments in the DISST Model-Based Assessment of Insulin Sensitivity. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/19322968211021602.
- Laufer B., Docherty PD., Murray R., Jalal NA., Hoeflinger F., Reindl L. and Moeller K. (2021) Optimal Sensor Location in a Smart-Shirt to Measure Accurate Tidal Volumes during Abdominal and Thoracic Respiration. Current Directions in Biomedical Engineering 7(2): 574-577. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/cdbme-2021-2146.
- Lam N., Docherty PD., Murray R., Chase JG. and Morenga LT. (2020) Using the Adapted Levenberg-Marquardt method to determine the validity of ignoring insulin and glucose data that is affected by mixing. IFAC-PapersOnLine 53(2): 16341-16346. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2020.12.661.