Qualifications & Memberships
Currently my research is focused on a) the optimization of energy and electricity systems which contain energy storage, and b) the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy resources in industry and transport. The optimization studies involve system modelling to find the best mix of generation capacity and energy storage from both environmental and economic points of view. A study on the use of liquid hydrogen as an aviation fuel for NZ is presently in progress. I maintain an active interest in international developments in carbon management, environmental psychology and energy economics, following on from a 4-year Marsden Fund project entitled "Carbon Neutrality - fact or fiction?" conducted with colleagues in the social sciences. Recent consultancy activities include modelling and data collection for a 100% renewable electricity system for a remote island and I am currently involved in a resilient energy system design for a small community.
Previous research areas include physical and mathematical modelling of the composting process, source separation of solid resource residuals, agricultural waste treatment and industrial waste treatment.
- Mason IG. and Miller AJV. (2016) Energetic and economic optimisation of islanded household-scale photovoltaic-plus-battery systems. Renewable Energy 96(A): 559-573. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.03.048.
- Mason IG. (2015) Comparative impacts of wind and photovoltaic generation on energy storage for small islanded electricity systems. Renewable Energy 80: 793-805. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.02.040.
- Birchall SJ., Ball A., Mason I. and Milne MJ. (2013) Managing carbon in times of political change: the rise and fall of the New Zealand Carbon Neutral Public Service program. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management 20(1): 63-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14486563.2012.720455.
- Mason IG., Page SC. and Williamson AG. (2013) Security of supply, energy spillage control and peaking options within a 100% renewable electricity generation system for New Zealand. Energy Policy 60(1): 324-333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.05.032.
- Boyle C., Mudd G., Mihelicic J., Anastas P., Collins T., Culligan P., Edwards M., Gabe J., Gallagher P. and Handy S. (2010) Delivering sustainable infrastructure that supports the urban built environment. Environmental Science & Technology 44(13): 4836-4840. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es903749d.